Reinstalling win2k Pro after a repair

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a dual-boot configuration, W98 on C+D, W2k on E. All partitions
use FAT32.
The hardware is a Pentium II with E-net NIC card and a Sportster 56K
internal modem.
When W2k stopped booting, I booted to WIN98 and did a disk scan fixing
any errors in any of the partitions. All was ok.
I then tried repairing the W2k system with the W2k system CD doing a
repair on any of the system files. Sounds ok so far right?
Well... on W2K bootup, I never got to the W2k splash screen and would
immediately reboot.
It didn't appear that the repair process ever worked. It seems my only
choice is to blow away the W2k system and do a complete re-install.

Any other ideas here ?

Jd

i'm guessing here but have you tried fdisk /mbr?

Have any usb devices connected? I had a win98 laptop hard drive connected
one time via usb and the 98 logo would flash and then freeze the xp computer
before it even got to the xp splash screen.
Good Luck