How to restrict Internet access?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
September 18, 2005 6:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.applications,microsoft.public.win2000.setup,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

I have just built a computer for my son using old extra parts. Since he is
13 years old, I do not want him to have direct access to the internet except
through AOL. Is there a way in Win2k to remove IE or restrict his access to
AOL only? I'm using a Linksys router WRT54G, and it has some limiting
abilities, but they'll restrict all computers on my home network.

I truly appreciate any and all help.
Thank you.
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:11:18 PM

Sablo wrote:
> I have just built a computer for my son using old extra parts. Since he is
> 13 years old, I do not want him to have direct access to the internet except
> through AOL. Is there a way in Win2k to remove IE or restrict his access to
> AOL only? I'm using a Linksys router WRT54G, and it has some limiting
> abilities, but they'll restrict all computers on my home network.
>
> I truly appreciate any and all help.
> Thank you.

For some requirements, your brother may find it easier to invest in
a 3rd-party solution, such as NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
solution is 100% child/fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take
the place of live adult supervision. If you cannot trust your child to
safely/properly use the computer without supervision, you may have to
consider limiting his access to it.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: