Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dual boot question

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:51:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Hi,

Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and DOS 6,
after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance,
Linn

More about : dual boot question

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:51:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];217210

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Linn Kubler" wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and DOS
6,
| after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
| Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
| rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.
|
| Thanks in advance,
| Linn
|
|
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:54:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

Dave, thanks for the info. I read that one earlier today. Wish I'd known I
needed this configuration when I built that system. I'm sure it would have
been much easier to setup the dual boot by installing in the correct order.

Thanks,
Linn

"Dave Patrick" <DSPatrick@nOsPAM.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:u1JTUYivFHA.2864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> This article may help.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];217210
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Linn Kubler" wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and
> DOS
> 6,
> | after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
> | Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
> | rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.
> |
> | Thanks in advance,
> | Linn
> |
> |
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:54:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

You're welcome.

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Linn Kubler" wrote:
| Dave, thanks for the info. I read that one earlier today. Wish I'd known
I
| needed this configuration when I built that system. I'm sure it would
have
| been much easier to setup the dual boot by installing in the correct
order.
|
| Thanks,
| Linn
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:59:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
news:%23aY4jUivFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and DOS
6,
> after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
> Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
> rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Linn

Yes, you can do this but the solution depends on the number
and type of partitions you currently have, e.g. FAT, FAT32
or NTFS. Please supply details.
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 11:59:50 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
news:uA$sg6ivFHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
> news:%23aY4jUivFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and DOS
> 6,
>> after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
>> Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
>> rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Linn
>
> Yes, you can do this but the solution depends on the number
> and type of partitions you currently have, e.g. FAT, FAT32
> or NTFS. Please supply details.
>

It does so happen that there are two partitions defined on this hard drive.
Both are NTFS but I'm not using the second partition at all and could change
it, if that's possible without destroying both. It's been so long since
I've had to worry about those details I don't quite remember. The second
partition is 10GB, is that too big for DOS?

Installing a second hard drive is also possible, I have a couple old ones
lying around.

Thanks,
Linn
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:19:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup (More info?)

"Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
news:uBgT6XjvFHA.252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
> news:uA$sg6ivFHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >
> > "Linn Kubler" <lkubler@chartwellwisc2.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23aY4jUivFHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Is it possible to setup dual boot, in this case, Windows 2000 Pro and
DOS
> > 6,
> >> after Windows 2000 has already been installed? I have a computer with
> >> Windows 2000 running and now I want to run DOS on it as well. I would
> >> rather not have to reinstall Windows 2000 if I don't have to.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >> Linn
> >
> > Yes, you can do this but the solution depends on the number
> > and type of partitions you currently have, e.g. FAT, FAT32
> > or NTFS. Please supply details.
> >
>
> It does so happen that there are two partitions defined on this hard
drive.
> Both are NTFS but I'm not using the second partition at all and could
change
> it, if that's possible without destroying both. It's been so long since
> I've had to worry about those details I don't quite remember. The second
> partition is 10GB, is that too big for DOS?
>
> Installing a second hard drive is also possible, I have a couple old ones
> lying around.
>
> Thanks,
> Linn

Having a second drive lying about makes things much, much easier.
Here is what you do, in this order:

1. Download a copy of the XOSL boot manager. It's free.
2. Disconnect your primary hard disk.
3. Install the second hard disk as the primary master.
4. Create a FAT partition on it and install DOS.
5. Copy and unzip XOSL into an XOSL directory on this disk.
6. Create a DOS boot diskette.
7. Connect your main disk the primary master.
8. Connect your second disk as a slave.
9. Boot the machine with your DOS boot diskette.
10. Install XOSL. Make very, very sure to install it in the
existing DOS partition on the slave drive. Under no
circumstances install it in a dedicated partition, e.g. in
your Win2000 partition.
11. Boot the machine with your hard disk.
12. Add the two OSs to the XOSL selection menu.

That's all!
If you ever wish to get rid of XOSL, just boot the machine
with your Win2000 CD, get into the Recovery Console and
run this command:
fixmbr
!