Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Just installed a 320GB Seagate HD on a new system. Have Windows XP without SP1 installed. I want to end up with a single partion for the drive.

I'm sure it's been asked many times and I did find some good information from prior threads. I do know that I need SP1 and double check my BIOS for LBA addressing.

Question is -- once SP1 is installed and BIOS confirmed, is there a way to take my 137GB partion that the installation did as a default and combine it with the remaing disk space? If reformat, I lose the OS and therefore lose SP1 and thus can no longer exceed 137GB again. Are there disc managers that will allow for partition merging without losing the existing data (i.e. the OS)?

Probably a very obvious answer and you will likely hear me groan with embarrassment once I see it! :oops:

Thanks!!

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I think that Windows will just see the extra space and let you format it as a second partition, but you'll probably need to buy some extra software if you want to extend the current partition to use the whole disk without reformatting. I'm sure there is software that will do so, but I don't think Windows can itself.

Walton13

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
I think that Windows will just see the extra space and let you format it as a second partition, but you'll probably need to buy some extra software if you want to extend the current partition to use the whole disk without reformatting. I'm sure there is software that will do so, but I don't think Windows can itself.

That's pretty much what I thought. Anyone have recommendations on software for extending/growing the partition to the full size of the disk?

Thanks again!

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Use PartitionMagic. It works for all the partition moving, shrinking, enlarging, combining, etc... that you will ever need. It is one GREAT program.

You can probably find it cheaper than this, but here is one pretty good price...

https://www.pronetcd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=10256723

Or just download Hiren BootCD (version 8.x), got everything you need covered :wink: