Restricting user rights...

Is there anyway to install Windows 2000 Professional on a
workstation so that ONLY the administrator login will
have the ability to install any applications?

Thanx.
3 answers Last reply
More about restricting user rights

    Steven

    Nothing can be totally secure because there is no easy definition as to what
    constitutes an application.

    At one extreme is something like Microsoft Office, which will require Admin
    rights to install. At the other extreme is a simple .exe file (or even a
    ..bat file or a Spreadsheet Macro). These files can be copied to any
    directory and executed from there. Purchased or Shareware applications may
    be of this type, so you may not be able to disable installation of these.

    Under normal circumstances, write access to C:\Program Files, C:\WinNT and
    most of the Local Machine registry requires Admin privilege. Any application
    that needs to write to these areas during installation will not install
    without Admin privilege.

    The only way to lock down a PC to this extent is to totally lock down the
    desktop so that users can only execute programs that you have enabled. This
    would exclude Start/Run, Windows Exlorer and Internet Explorer to exclude
    access to any program file source. There are papers on this, but it would
    not be easy and would probably not be acceptable.

    Dick

    "Steven" <stmasi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to install Windows 2000 Professional on a
    > workstation so that ONLY the administrator login will
    > have the ability to install any applications?
    >
    > Thanx.

    Yes... although it is very difficult to configure and maintain... It is
    possible and I have accomplished this... I would be more than happy to share
    with you how it is acomplished, however you will have to correspond with me
    directly for this...

    Stew Bsterash

    "Steven" <stmasi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to install Windows 2000 Professional on a
    > workstation so that ONLY the administrator login will
    > have the ability to install any applications?
    >
    > Thanx.

    yeh dont give them admin rights?
    "Steven" <stmasi@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Is there anyway to install Windows 2000 Professional on a
    > workstation so that ONLY the administrator login will
    > have the ability to install any applications?
    >
    > Thanx.

Windows 2000 Workstations Microsoft Windows