Hi!

I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
user on my intra.
Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
users.
Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
Workgroup).

Thanks

Just another question?
Does that user need to be local, ie, does the remote user need to have an
account on the computer he is accessing?

Thanks again

"Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
> user on my intra.
> Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
> users.
> Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
> Workgroup).
>
> Thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> Just another question?
> Does that user need to be local, ie, does the remote user need to have an
> account on the computer he is accessing?
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
>> user on my intra.
>> Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
>> users.
>> Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
>> Workgroup).
>>
>> Thanks

If you have XP Pro then you can. Uncheck "Use Simple File sharing" (last
option) in Explorer, Folder Options, View

hth

george

Alberto,

Please make sure that Simple File Sharing is disabled. To disable it,

In Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View. Untick "Use Simple FIle
Sharing" (at the far bottom)

Once you have done that, right click on the folder that you want to share,
and select Sharing tab. You should be able to configure it to allow only 1
user to access.

Hope this helps.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!

"Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
> user on my intra.
> Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
> users.
> Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
> Workgroup).
>
> Thanks

Thanks. It worked ok.
"Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
> Alberto,
>
> Please make sure that Simple File Sharing is disabled. To disable it,
>
> In Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View. Untick "Use Simple
FIle
> Sharing" (at the far bottom)
>
> Once you have done that, right click on the folder that you want to share,
> and select Sharing tab. You should be able to configure it to allow only 1
> user to access.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
> http://www.blizhosting.com
>

> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi!
> >
> > I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
> > user on my intra.
> > Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
> > users.
> > Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
> > Workgroup).
> >
> > Thanks

Glad to hear that. :)

Have a great day!

--

> Thanks. It worked ok.
> "Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
>> Alberto,
>>
>> Please make sure that Simple File Sharing is disabled. To disable it,
>>
>> In Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View. Untick "Use Simple
> FIle
>> Sharing" (at the far bottom)
>>
>> Once you have done that, right click on the folder that you want to
>> share,
>> and select Sharing tab. You should be able to configure it to allow only
>> 1
>> user to access.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> --
>> Jabez Gan
>> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
>> http://www.blizhosting.com
>>

>> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one
>> > particular
>> > user on my intra.
>> > Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none
>> > intra
>> > users.
>> > Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
>> > Workgroup).
>> >
>> > Thanks

Alberto,

You can share the folder with a remote user.

--
Jabez Gan
Give me a chance, Let me help you!
http://www.blizhosting.com

"Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Just another question?
> Does that user need to be local, ie, does the remote user need to have an
> account on the computer he is accessing?
>
> Thanks again
>
> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi!
>>
>> I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
>> user on my intra.
>> Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
>> users.
>> Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
>> Workgroup).
>>
>> Thanks

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

hi,

Question for ya. If you have simple file sharing disabled, a user with User
rights only does not see the sharing option on the file or folder, only a
user with admin rights does. I manage a bunch of computers and have simple
file sharing disabled and notice that the users with user rights can not
make shared folders, only those with admin rights can. I haven`t check to
see if Power Users can make shared folders yet.

Jeff

> Alberto,
>
> You can share the folder with a remote user.
>
> --
> Jabez Gan
> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
> http://www.blizhosting.com
>

> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Just another question?
>> Does that user need to be local, ie, does the remote user need to have an
>> account on the computer he is accessing?
>>
>> Thanks again
>>
>> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I had Win2000 and had some files (or folders) shared with one particular
>>> user on my intra.
>>> Now I've passed to WinXP and I only can share files to all or none intra
>>> users.
>>> Can't i make the share available only to one defined user? (I've got
>>> Workgroup).
>>>
>>> Thanks

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

By design, defining shares is *NOT* allowed to accounts with only 'user'
status.
So basically, Administrators or Power Users can define shares.

george

"jeffrey" <jeffrey@nospam.okinawa.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> Question for ya. If you have simple file sharing disabled, a user with
> User rights only does not see the sharing option on the file or folder,
> only a user with admin rights does. I manage a bunch of computers and
> have simple file sharing disabled and notice that the users with user
> rights can not make shared folders, only those with admin rights can. I
> haven`t check to see if Power Users can make shared folders yet.
>
> Jeff
>
> "Jabez Gan" <mingteikg@blizNOSPAMhosting.com> wrote in message
>> Alberto,
>>
>> You can share the folder with a remote user.
>>
>> --
>> Jabez Gan
>> Give me a chance, Let me help you!
>> http://www.blizhosting.com
>>

>> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Just another question?
>>> Does that user need to be local, ie, does the remote user need to have
>>> an
>>> account on the computer he is accessing?
>>>
>>> Thanks again
>>>
>>> "Alberto" <asapinto@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I'm using only administrator users to share files.
But unfortunately the problem still remains.
I'm in a Workgroup and all the computers are in the same workgroup.
The problem begins when I try to see other computers: i get ("Workgroup is
not accessible.
Account is not authorized to log in from this station).(this for a Win2000
computer).

So, when I try do share some file with a remote user I can't see any other
computer, so I can only share the file with all users, which i don't want.

Can you still help me?

Thanks