File names that are very long?

Hi,

One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these files:(

I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
same files.

When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
"General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
saying something like "The properties are not available".

I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

How long are the file names, and what OS are you running on?

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
> were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
> on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these
files:(

> I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
> same files.
>
> When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
> "General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
> Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
> saying something like "The properties are not available".
>
> I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
> lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.
>
> --
> Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Hi Brian,

Longest file name was around 110 characters
Longest path + filename was around 235 characters

--
Gerry Hickman
SSRU SysAdmin

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
> How long are the file names, and what OS are you running on?

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
> > were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
> > on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these
> files:(
> >
> > I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
> > same files.
> >
> > When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
> > "General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
> > Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
> > saying something like "The properties are not available".
> >
> > I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
> > lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.
> >
> > --
> > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Those are legal filenames/paths.