File names that are very long?

Hi,

One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these files:(

I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
same files.

When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
"General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
saying something like "The properties are not available".

I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)
3 answers Last reply

    How long are the file names, and what OS are you running on?

    Brian Desmond
    Windows Server MVP
    desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

    Http://www.briandesmond.com

    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
    > were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
    > on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these
    files:(

    > I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
    > same files.
    >
    > When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
    > "General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
    > Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
    > saying something like "The properties are not available".
    >
    > I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
    > lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Hi Brian,

    Longest file name was around 110 characters
    Longest path + filename was around 235 characters

    --
    Gerry Hickman
    SSRU SysAdmin

    "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
    > How long are the file names, and what OS are you running on?

    > Brian Desmond
    > Windows Server MVP
    > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    >
    > Http://www.briandesmond.com
    >

    > "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
    > > were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4 version)
    > > on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these
    > files:(
    > >
    > > I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
    > > same files.
    > >
    > > When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer, the
    > > "General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
    > > Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a dialog
    > > saying something like "The properties are not available".
    > >
    > > I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
    > > lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any answers.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Those are legal filenames/paths.

    "Gerry Hickman" <gerry1uk@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > Longest file name was around 110 characters
    > Longest path + filename was around 235 characters
    >
    > --
    > Gerry Hickman
    > SSRU SysAdmin
    >
    > "Brian Desmond [MVP]" <desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us> wrote in message
    > > How long are the file names, and what OS are you running on?
    > >
    > > --
    > > --
    > > Brian Desmond
    > > Windows Server MVP
    > > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
    > >
    > > Http://www.briandesmond.com
    > >

    > > "Gerry Hickman" <gerry666uk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > One of my users had saved some files with very long names, and these
    > > > were in a deep folder structure. I was trying to run CACLS (NT4
    version)
    > > > on about 30Gb of files and it gave an error when it hit one of these
    > > files:(
    > > >
    > > > I also noticed my NetShield AV log was complaining about these exact
    > > > same files.
    > > >
    > > > When I try to view properties of one of these files in NT4 explorer,
    the
    > > > "General" tab is missing! If I try to view properties from a remote
    > > > Win2k machine logged in as an Administrator, I get an error in a
    dialog
    > > > saying something like "The properties are not available".
    > > >
    > > > I tried to search the KB to find out what the maximum folder and file
    > > > lengths for Windows are supposed to be, but could not find any
    answers.

    > > > --
    > > > Gerry Hickman (London UK)

Microsoft Windows