Silverstone OP-750 (60 12+ AMPS!) Buzz

blackstone

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Silverstone OP-750 (60 12+ AMPS!) Buzz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just installed a Silverstone OP-750. Top of the line single rail. It seems to make a very slight buzzing sound (not alarming, but audible) whenever the computer is under any kind of load. For example, if I resize a window, or sroll through a web site, it makes an electronic buzz while I do that.

It gets a bit louder of I run ATI Tool's cube and thus boost my graphics cards power draw from like 8AMPS to 24AMPS. Then it is like a constant electronic hum, and it is pretty audible audible. It seems directly related to the load put on the graphics card, because I don't get any noise by running Prime95 in dual instances, but the "cube" heat up thing in ATi tool makes it loud and audible.

Does anyone want to speculate as to whether the power supply is defective? Is it possible that because I've never had a high watt/amps power supply that I'm just not used to this kind of thing and this is normal? It isn't the kind of thing I can hear while gaming with my headphones but if I don't have my headphones on it is annoying as hell. The sound changes when I pan around with my mouse too it is like feedback.

System is

E6600 @ 3.0 Ghz
2 Gigs OCZ Gold Xtc Memory
P5W DH Deluxe Mobo
Saphire Radeon X1800XT 256 meg (this card is crapping out bigtime) w/ Accelero
Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme Music
Silverstone TJ07

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
it could be a simple loose fan - i would return it if its new - some electronic parts buzzing is a bad sign.

mostl likely its just fan vibration - again since its new you DO NOT WANT TO OPEN IT UP - those capaitors could kill you anyways

so send it back

since its a single rail design that strange that gpu makes it buzz but not the cpu.