Cannot connect to internet PLEASE HELP

mschmidbauer001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
I reformatted my friend's computer and when it was all done, the damn thing won't connect to the internet (cable). i have the drivers for the modem installed and all that - it just won't connect. when i do an ipconfig in DOS it has no DNS suffix, the ip address is 169.xxx.xxx.xx - i don't think that is right - and it has no gateway. what can i do? i'm not calling dell - i did that and they said some bullshit about having to pay 240 bucks. forget that. so if anyone can help - it'd be much appreciated. thanks

NetCompTech

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Is the modem online?
If so, is there a link light on the modem for the connection between your PC and the modem, and a link light on the back of you PC where the network cable plugs into your NIC?
If yes:
In the Device Manager, does your NIC card show as enabled/working (no exclamation point or red X)?
In your Network Connections window, how many local area connections do you show? Do you show any Network Bridges?

mschmidbauer001

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
the modem is online.

the computer has the link lights at the NIC and the modem shows that there is PC activity.

the NIC card is there - there is no red x and no exclamation point. it says it is working properly.

there is one local area connection and no bridges.

PLEASE HELP ME.

NetCompTech

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
is the computer running XP?

Are you using the same network cable (same as before reformat)?

Go into DOS and ping 127.0.0.1; do you get 4 replies?