Direct Parallel Problem

A Direct Parallel connection between a XP Home and Win95 shows "connected"
on the HOST (Win 95). However, the GUEST (XP) cannot see any files on the
Win95. Connection is with a new Direct Parallel cable.

Any ideas are appreciated - thanks, Cecil
6 answers Last reply
More about direct parallel problem

    Probably because Win95 files are FAT32 and XP is NTFS. You'll need
    a cross-over cable RJ-45, get it from Radio Shack if both PCs have the
    connection port. Then go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>
    Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

    In news:589B71B6-B86A-435E-834E-8045E7BA78DA@microsoft.com,
    Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Probably because Win95 files are FAT32

    No, original Windows 95 supported only FAT16 and FAT12. Only with
    OSR2 was FAT32 support added.

    > and XP is NTFS.

    No, XP supports all of these files system--not just NTFS, but
    also FAT32, FAT16, and FAT12. Windows XP has no problem seing any
    file system on a Windows 95 computer.

    Windows 98 can't see an NTFS drive if it's attached locally, but
    even that doesn't matter over a network. Over a network the file
    system doesn't matter, since only the data is transferred, not
    the underlying file system.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In news:%238l7JGxLFHA.2132@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Ken Blake <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> typed:

    > In news:589B71B6-B86A-435E-834E-8045E7BA78DA@microsoft.com,
    > Byte <Byte@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    >> Probably because Win95 files are FAT32
    >

    > No, original Windows 95 supported only FAT16 and FAT12. Only
    > with
    > OSR2 was FAT32 support added.
    >

    >> and XP is NTFS.
    >

    > No, XP supports all of these files system--not just NTFS, but
    > also FAT32, FAT16, and FAT12. Windows XP has no problem seing
    > any
    > file system on a Windows 95 computer.
    >
    > Windows 98

    Sorry, typo. That should have been "Windows 95."

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:47:03 -0800, Byte wrote:

    > Probably because Win95 files are FAT32 and XP is NTFS. You'll need
    > a cross-over cable RJ-45, get it from Radio Shack if both PCs have the
    > connection port. Then go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>
    > Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.

    The issue of FAT and NTFS would not effect files viewed over a network. It
    is a local system issue only (think dual boot system).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:56:58 -0600, Cecil Kearney wrote:

    > A Direct Parallel connection between a XP Home and Win95 shows "connected"
    > on the HOST (Win 95). However, the GUEST (XP) cannot see any files on the
    > Win95. Connection is with a new Direct Parallel cable.
    >
    > Any ideas are appreciated - thanks, Cecil

    The default workgroup name is different in Win95 than XP Home. Rename
    workgroup so that it is the same on both systems (system properties>
    computer name) and try again.

    Since Win95 is the host, there may be some network protocol issues. Repost
    this question in the windowsxp.network_web newsgroup if you need further
    assistance.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Did you remember to share the hard drive on the 95 PC?
    www.coribright.com

    "Cecil Kearney" <Cecil_Kearney@msn.com> wrote in message
    >A Direct Parallel connection between a XP Home and Win95 shows "connected"
    > on the HOST (Win 95). However, the GUEST (XP) cannot see any files on the
    > Win95. Connection is with a new Direct Parallel cable.
    >
    > Any ideas are appreciated - thanks, Cecil

Connection Microsoft Windows XP