is there video card for upconverting dvd playback

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Posted this elsewhere but thought I would also post here

Wondering if there is software for upconverting dvd playback to high defintion on xp media pc. Have an x1300 video card --- do not know if it can upconvert dvd playback --- can this be done through software, and, if not, are there any video cards that I can install that are capable of upconverting dvd playback to high def.

rschauby

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I have a little clarification for you but I don't know the specific answer to your question.

There is no way to truly upconvert a standard DVD to high definition. The only function upconverting performs is upconverting the output from standard DVD format of 480p to a more friendly native resolution for high definition televisions of 720p and 1080i. If you have a newer fixed pixel display then your TV already converts everything to it's native resolution anyway.

So in summary, all the upconverting DVD players on the market are mostly a gimmick and the salesmen will try and tell you they are necessary if you own an HD TV. In reality, conversion has to take place on fixed pixel displays anyways and most people think the converter in the television is usually the best.

The only way for you to get an HD picture to your TV is to have an HD source like HD DVD or Blu Ray.

dsharp9000

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
probably should not of posted this way as I realize there is no way it match native high def play back --- but have heard that upconverting does provide an increase in quality (not to the level of true high def) --- thought it might be interesting if i could do this on my computer with software through my existing hardware --- maybe im wasteing my time --- but thought i'd ask

feedbrian

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Upconverting DVD players aren't quite a gimmick. When you play back a DVD on a high-def TV (or computer monitor), upconversion always has to happen somewhere. The problem is that your typical HDTV does a really poor job of it. So upconverting with a DVD player (or better yet, with a computer) does provide an increase in quality over what you would see otherwise. Keep in mind that the goal isn't to reach HD quality, just to upconvert without losing quality. I play back DVDs on a Sony 720p TV and they look amazing, at least as good as a high-end DVD player.

Upconversion on the computer happens automatically when you play back a DVD in full screen on the TV (assuming the TV is set at the correct resolution).

mpjesse

Splendid
ALL upconverting DVD players do is display a higher resolution (1280x720p or 1920x1080i). Old progressive scan DVD players display a maximum resolution of 720x480p... which (of course) is a standard defintion TV.

Now... software DVD players display DVD's at whatever resolution your desktop is set to (some scaling is involved of course). So if you have a 1600x1200 display, it's automatically "upcoverting" that DVD to (close to) 1080i/p.

Make sense?