Assign NIC MAC address in sysprep.inf file?

Craig

Hi folks,
I'm trying with no success to assign my own MAC address to
a NIC in a sysprep.inf file, and I'm not having any
success. I've looked around and it seems like the
sysprep.inf syntax should be something like:

[NetAdapters]
Adapter01 = params.Adapter01

[params.Adapter01]
;This is what I want for testing...
NetCardAddress = 0x123412341234

Unfortunately, I'm stumped. Any suggestions???

Thank you,
Craig

The Nic's Mac address is unique and hardoced on the NIC
itself. I am not aware of any way to change it whatsoever.

That doesn't mean there isn't. Ethernet NIC's have long (presumably since
the beginning) had the concept of having a "permanent" address (the one
you're familiar with), along with a "locally administered address" which is
settable via software. One of the 48 bits of the address distinguishes
between LAA's and permanent addresses. Most ethernet NIC drivers have a
place to set this on the advanced settings tab, but not all. I looked a few
years back at doing this in software, but there didn't seem to be an
official way. There was a place in the registry I was told that most cards
would look, but it was just "recommended" and not "required" so I never
followed up on it.

Apologies to the OP, I know this doesn't help with your issue, just wanted
to set the record straight for Ludwich.

--
Tom

"Ludwich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The Nic's Mac address is unique and hardoced on the NIC
> itself. I am not aware of any way to change it whatsoever.

JJ

"Craig" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
> I'm trying with no success to assign my own MAC address to
> a NIC in a sysprep.inf file, and I'm not having any
> success. I've looked around and it seems like the
> sysprep.inf syntax should be something like:
>
> [NetAdapters]
> Adapter01 = params.Adapter01
>
> [params.Adapter01]
> ;This is what I want for testing...
> NetCardAddress = 0x123412341234
>
> Unfortunately, I'm stumped. Any suggestions???
>
> Thank you,
> Craig

JJ

Hi Craig

You might like to take a look at Q229762

It appears that you need the InfID in the params file as well as the network
card address...

[Params.Adapter01]
InfID="PCI\VEN_8086&dev_1229"
NetCardAddress = 0x009027358019