unattend.txt file

I'm using RIS to deploy win 2k pro from a win 2k server
computer. It is an unattended install, however the
[UserData] fields are requiring me to input the
information. All of the fields have a value with
quotations, with the exception of, in the Computername
field, it has been set to * (no quotations). Could this
be the cause of my problem?

see below:
[UserData]
FullName="IT Dept"
OrgName="The Teal-Jones Group"
ComputerName=*
ProductID="abc12-abc12-abc12-abc12-abc12"
4 answers Last reply
More about unattend file

    "Wayne" <wmccormack@stagtimber.com> writes:

    > I'm using RIS to deploy win 2k pro from a win 2k server
    > computer. It is an unattended install, however the
    > [UserData] fields are requiring me to input the
    > information. All of the fields have a value with
    > quotations, with the exception of, in the Computername
    > field, it has been set to * (no quotations). Could this
    > be the cause of my problem?

    No, it should work either way.

    Double-check the product key carefully. Also, what setting are you
    using for [Unattended]/UnattendMode?

    It might be helpful if you would send your entire unattend.txt file
    (after blanking out product keys and passwords, of course).

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

    thx for the link.
    i've pasted my unattend.txt file:

    ;SetupMgrTag
    [Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    MsDosInitiated="0"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"

    [Unattended]
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    TargetPath=\WINNT

    [GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*******
    AutoLogon=Yes
    AutoLogonCount=1
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=4
    OemSkipWelcome=1

    [UserData]
    FullName="** ****"
    OrgName="** ***** ****"
    ComputerName=*
    ProductID="abc12-abc12-abc12-abc12-abc21"

    [Display]
    BitsPerPel=32
    Xresolution=1024
    YResolution=768

    [TapiLocation]
    CountryCode=107
    Dialing=Tone
    AreaCode=604

    [SetupMgr]
    DistFolder=d:\reminst
    DistShare=win2000dist

    [Branding]
    BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

    Home_Page=http://www.*********
    Search_Page=http://www.google.ca

    [Proxy]
    Proxy_Enable=1
    Use_Same_Proxy=1
    HTTP_Proxy_Server=firewall:80
    Proxy_Override=192.168.1.*;192.168.2.*;<local>

    [Identification]
    JoinDomain=*****
    DomainAdmin=administrator
    DomainAdminPassword=********

    [Networking]
    InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

    thx for the input.

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > thx for the link.
    > i've pasted my unattend.txt file:
    >

    > [Unattended]
    > UnattendMode=FullUnattended

    UnattendMode=FullUnattended means that Setup should not stop to ask
    you any questions ever. It might bomb out with an error, but it
    should never put up a dialog box.

    What makes you think you are actually using this unattend.txt file at
    all? That is, what are you doing, exactly, to start Windows Setup?

    > OemSkipEula=Yes
    > OemPreinstall=Yes
    > TargetPath=\WINNT

    TargetPath=\WINNT is redundant because it is the default. I recommend
    removing this. (Especially since they changed it to "\Windows" in
    XP.) Won't cause any harm, though.

    > [UserData]
    > FullName="** ****"
    > OrgName="** ***** ****"
    > ComputerName=*
    > ProductID="abc12-abc12-abc12-abc12-abc21"

    I think you meant "...-abc12" at the end there. :-)

    The rest of the file looks fine to me.

    - Pat
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Looks fine to me, as well. I'm guessing, as you are, that it's not being
    referenced properly.

    Wayne, are you sure you're not mixing up the /u and /unattend switches?
    They're different between winnt.exe and winnt32.exe.

    Regards

    Oli

    "Patrick J. LoPresti [MVP]" <patl@users.sourceforge.net> wrote in message
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:
    >
    >> thx for the link.
    >> i've pasted my unattend.txt file:
    >>

    >> [Unattended]
    >> UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    >
    > UnattendMode=FullUnattended means that Setup should not stop to ask
    > you any questions ever. It might bomb out with an error, but it
    > should never put up a dialog box.
    >
    > What makes you think you are actually using this unattend.txt file at
    > all? That is, what are you doing, exactly, to start Windows Setup?
    >
    >> OemSkipEula=Yes
    >> OemPreinstall=Yes
    >> TargetPath=\WINNT
    >
    > TargetPath=\WINNT is redundant because it is the default. I recommend
    > removing this. (Especially since they changed it to "\Windows" in
    > XP.) Won't cause any harm, though.
    >
    >> [UserData]
    >> FullName="** ****"
    >> ComputerName=*
    >> ProductID="abc12-abc12-abc12-abc12-abc21"
    >
    > I think you meant "...-abc12" at the end there. :-)
    >
    > The rest of the file looks fine to me.
    >
    > - Pat
    > http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

Microsoft Windows