Lost Product Key

Hi,

I have lost the windows 2000 server CD and I need to
migrate the server to new hardware. IS their a way to find
out the product key from the old running server.

Thanks
/Sam
2 answers Last reply
More about lost product

    Greetings --

    The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
    installation) is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker
    that says "Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory
    installed) license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer
    affixed to the exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

    To recover a lost Product Key:

    If your system still runs, you should be able to use AIDA32
    Enterprise from http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php to find the Product
    Key. (If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
    reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
    image used at the factory and not _your_ specific Product Key;
    therefore, it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be --
    used for a re-installation.)

    If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

    If it was an OEM license, you should contact whomever sold you the
    OS; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of the
    Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
    new license.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have lost the windows 2000 server CD and I need to
    > migrate the server to new hardware. IS their a way to find
    > out the product key from the old running server.
    >
    > Thanks
    > /Sam

    HI Sam

    Assuming that you're using this server for your own personal use (so you're
    not going to violate the licensing agreement),

    Belarc Advisor can find this out for you.

    The software is free for personal use - it's quick - it's only 600K and the
    results come up in a web page. On my personal system, it lists not only the
    W2K key, but also the Office key.

    http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

    Good luck,

    JJ

    "Sam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have lost the windows 2000 server CD and I need to
    > migrate the server to new hardware. IS their a way to find
    > out the product key from the old running server.
    >
    > Thanks
    > /Sam

Windows 2000 Microsoft Servers Windows