Having troubole playing games.

snideapollo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I have installed NX7950GX2 nvidia graphics card and i'm having trouble launching games .Every time i install a game and click on its icon on the desktop a small window appears on the screen saying that the game encoutered a problem and needs to close.Is there any setting adjustment i can do to fix the problem ,knowing that every thing was fine after i had installed the graphics card and i played some games like (F.E.A.R) and it performed well but after a while that message started to appear after every game i install and try to operate. any advice is appreciated.

snideapollo

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Sorry i didn't mention my pc specs, well here they are :
mainboard : MSI 975X platinum
processor: Intel pentium 4 CPU 3.00 GHZ
VGA card : Nvidia Geforce NX7950GX2
RAM: 1GB
Power supplier : ATX12V with total max power of 500 WAT
Hard drive : SATA 80 GB

thanx

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
If your drivers are up-to-date, then as the others have suggested the most likely culprit is that your power supply just isn't keeping up. Please tell us the brand and model.

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
The author sent me a PM about his PSU model:
"Well, the power supplier model is KMEX (PK-500) ATX 12v with total max power of 500 WAT."

I think you other folks will agree with me that it is almost definitely a problem with the power supply, at least judging by the information we've been given (like he hasn't mentioned that the error started happening after some other change - like new drivers for example). Non-reputable brands like the one you mentioned claim watts that aren't realistic - those numbers are calculated as the peak output (not continuous) when the power supply is cool temperature-wise. Realistically, the power supply may be capable of only 200-300W (or less!) in continuous use.

The NX7950GX2 is very power-hungry, and it looks like you have a Prescott P4, which are also ridiculously power-hungry. I'd strongly recommend getting a quality power supply, you can use it in your next computer so it wouldn't really be a waste of money getting a good one. Some recommendations from personal experience are Seasonic and Tagan, although other brands such as PC Power & Cooling (if you're in the US and are lucky enough to be able to get one), OCZ, Enermax and Antec also come highly recommended.

The one thing that casts a shadow of doubt onto this diagnosis is that it didn't happen before and suddently started happening, but it's still fully within reason to assume that such high loads caused your "500W" power supply to start dying.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

thanx

A p4 on a 975 MB?

Fedor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

thanx

A p4 on a 975 MB?

Why not? I've got a Prescott myself and have been thinking of getting a 680 chipset-based board now (looking at Asus P5NT WS cause it has PCI-X, but can't find a single review) and upgrade to quad or whatever once I get a bit more money.

TRENDING THREADS