Dell 170L Intel Pro LOM Intel Pro VE w/ XP and Server 2003..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 10, 2004 5:15:21 AM

I was using RIs successfully with Broadcom NICS and Compaq machines. I
got them to work by removing the comma from the inf files. Then I
RIprep'd the image back over to the RIS server and was happily
deploying machines. Then we switched to Dell 170L machines with the
Intel NIC that Dell Drivers says is a LOM and that XP says is a VE
when installed.
Despite following all instructions found at Intel and using the
modified inf file I was unable to get it to work until I did the
following
Using a software assurance CD of XP Pro without sp1 or sp1a on it:

1) restore my remoteinstall directory to how it was before I began
altering the files in the i386 as Intel recommneds
2) Install the RIS BINLSVC.dll hotpatch MS released 04/06/04 for the
RIS 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823658&Product=winsvr2003

3) Copy the directory C:\Drivers found in the Dell Image over to the
$oem\$1\Drivers directory
4) copy the files in the subfolders of that directory up one level.
For example there is a Drivers\AUDIO directory and a subdirectory in
Drivers\AUDIO containing the driver files, I copied them up one level
5) Copy the contents of the network Drivers directory overr to the
i386 directory overwriting the intel supplied inf file

Now all that is well and good.
I modified the machine (including adding sp1a and other hotpatches)
that I successfully RIS'd and ran RIprep to put it back on the RIS
Server for deployment (I did not do the steps outlined in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254078 )
I did not think I needed to because I installed the image from the RIs
server to begin with hence all drivers are there.
Now when I try to install using the modified image I get a STOP
message 0x000000BB
Intel http://support.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100...
Associates that with an incorrect file and says deleting it will solve
all the problems... But I am unable to locate that file anywhere in
the RIS server
Additionally it is occurring when it moves from the text based setup
to the GUI based portion or so I think. It occurs after setup copies
over the setup files and says setup is starting windows...

Any suggestions on how to procede?

TIA And I hope the few suggestions I made help others
Todd Hemsell
Todd(AT)Hemsell(DOT)com
Anonymous
April 14, 2004 5:20:59 PM

Check Intel's website for a support article that speaks to this issue.

!