Remote installation of Dell Optiplex

i am trying to do a remote installtion of windows xp from a windows 2000 server. I can contact the RIS server using PXE, but when once i choose automatic setup it goes to windows setup and i recieve the following error
" the operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system image."
please someone help me. You can send an email to me at malejandro@armadillohomes.com
thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about remote installation dell optiplex

    Mark

    I'd be tempted to change the NIC for the installation,
    then download the xp driver from dell for the (I'm
    guessing) onboard LAN. The OS will find the new NIC when
    rebooted and ask for drivers.

    Regards
    Paul

    when i created the dell image on the ris server; the system already had the correct drivers.....i can connect to the RIS server and it locates the images, but when it goes to install the image...that is when i get the error

    Mark wrote:

    > i am trying to do a remote installtion of windows xp from a windows 2000 server. I can contact the RIS server using PXE, but when once i choose automatic setup it goes to windows setup and i recieve the following error
    > " the operating system image you selected does not contain the necessary drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different operating system image."
    > please someone help me. You can send an email to me at malejandro@armadillohomes.com
    > thanks

    How to Add Third-Party OEM Network Adapters to RIS Installations
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246184
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=315279

    Steps 1 and 5.

    "On the RIS server, copy the OEM-supplied .inf and .sys file for the
    network adapter to the RemoteInstall\Setup\Language\Images\Dir_name\i386
    folder. This allows Setup to use the driver during the Text-mode portion
    of the installation.....Stop and restart the BINL service on the RIS
    server."

    N.B. This is not the same as adding the files to \$oem$\$1 and/or
    OemPnpDriversPath, it's a separate step.

    Hope this helps...

    Luke Morey
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Hey Dude,

    I struggled for about 1 night on this over eatsre and foudn the solution was
    to actually chuck the nic drivers i.e. inf files etc into your
    risinstall\images\templates\ i386 folder

    Sorry if i got the path wrong..

    A somewhat undocumented step!!!

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    "mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when i created the dell image on the ris server; the system already had
    the correct drivers.....i can connect to the RIS server and it locates the
    images, but when it goes to install the image...that is when i get the error

    > ----- pdbasham wrote: -----
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > I'd be tempted to change the NIC for the installation,
    > then download the xp driver from dell for the (I'm
    > guessing) onboard LAN. The OS will find the new NIC when
    > rebooted and ask for drivers.
    >
    > Regards
    > Paul

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Luke Morey wrote:
    > Mark wrote:
    >
    >> i am trying to do a remote installtion of windows xp from a windows
    >> 2000 server. I can contact the RIS server using PXE, but when once i
    >> choose automatic setup it goes to windows setup and i recieve the
    >> following error
    >> " the operating system image you selected does not contain the
    >> necessary drivers for your network adapter. Try selecting a different
    >> operating system image."

    Here's a good summary post of all the issues.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=g4Et2BrrDHA.3060@cpmsftngxa07.phx.gbl

    It looks like the Intel PRO/100 or PRO/1000 driver has a particular
    issue, which is fixed either by using a different .sys and .inf in the
    images\...\i386 directory than in the
    images\...\i386\$oem$\$1\drivers\nic directory...

    http://support.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-000023-prd38.htm

    ....or applying a hotfix to the RIS server.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823658
  6. As well as copying the drivers to the i386 folder for the IMAGE I also put the drivers in the Bland XP folder that was initially created when RIS was setup (now using WDS in mixed mode)

    Dell 960 now 'Ris-ing' as we speak.

    Copy Drivers here: \\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\STD XP RIP\i386

    and then into the i386 folder of your image too

    \\RemoteInstall\Setup\English\Images\YOUR IMAGE HERE\i386

    Rebooted server (not sure if req'd) and now works like a charm!!!

    Thought I'd post that here to help out.

    Thanks,

    Lynas

Windows