Considering a switch from Palm to PocketPC

June 6, 2005 9:53:47 PM

I have an older Handspring PDA which uses the Palm OS. It has served me
well, but I'm looking to move up as I've outgrown its capacity. I have
read a lot of reviews about the high-end Palm products, and battery life
(or lack thereof) seems to be an major issue. So I'm also looking at
PocketPCs.

In my job I do lots of documents, need to keep a calendar, notes,
addresses, and occasionally do presentations. It would be nice to be
able to check/send e-mail when on travel. I understand that most
PocketPCs are pretty good with e-mail (using Outlook? - my preference is
for Mozilla, but I guess compromises are possible).

One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can present a slide
show using PowerPoint and connecting to a digital projector, either with
a cord or with Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support this? Do
any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?

Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar, contacts
and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all that, as it's a rather
extensive database.

Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when on the road
in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little removable memory device?

No buzzwords or acronyms, please, I'm not much of a techie.

Thanks for any help.

Susan G

More about : switch palm pocketpc

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 9:53:48 PM

See comments below, feel free to ask any other questions.

"Susan Gawarecki" <locREMOVE@icx.net> wrote in message
> In my job I do lots of documents, need to keep a calendar, notes,
> addresses, and occasionally do presentations. It would be nice to be
> able to check/send e-mail when on travel. I understand that most
> PocketPCs are pretty good with e-mail (using Outlook? - my preference is
> for Mozilla, but I guess compromises are possible).

I have an AudioVox 6600 through Sprint, it is my PPC (my 3rd and best one
yet) and Phone all in one. With Sprints Vision I am able to synce my PPC
with my PC at home, this includes, email, files, and calendar. I'm currently
using Outlook, and it works great. You are connected to the internet so you
can do a bunch with it. Verison and Cingular have the same phone and offer
such plans. A regular PPC would require some sort of internet connection to
sync over the web, could be a local PC, Laptop, etc... I believe this will
require Active Sync to be installed on the machine you are trying to use.

> One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can present a slide
> show using PowerPoint and connecting to a digital projector, either with
> a cord or with Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support this? Do
> any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?

I've seen some devices in the past, but not ever having a need for them I've
never commited to memory the products that are required to do this. Google
would be a good place to search, but the short answer to your question is
YES it's possible (as far as I know)

> Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar, contacts
> and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all that, as it's a rather
> extensive database.

Not sure on this end a 100% as I've never used a Palm, but I would think you
should be able sync from your Email client to the PPC and have it do all the
translating for you. If your email clinent isn't supported by Active sync,
you could hook up the palm sync to Outlook, then sync the PPC to outlook.

> Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when on the road
> in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little removable memory device?

I use my SD Card (removable Memory device) to do back ups when on the road.
June 6, 2005 11:59:41 PM

Susan Gawarecki wrote:
> I have an older Handspring PDA which uses the Palm OS. It has served
> me well, but I'm looking to move up as I've outgrown its capacity. I
> have read a lot of reviews about the high-end Palm products, and
> battery life (or lack thereof) seems to be an major issue. So I'm
> also looking at PocketPCs.
>
> In my job I do lots of documents, need to keep a calendar, notes,
> addresses, and occasionally do presentations. It would be nice to be
> able to check/send e-mail when on travel. I understand that most
> PocketPCs are pretty good with e-mail (using Outlook? - my preference
> is for Mozilla, but I guess compromises are possible).
>
> One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can present a slide
> show using PowerPoint and connecting to a digital projector, either
> with a cord or with Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support
> this? Do any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?

A Dell Axim X50v will do all of the above. It has a VGA screen and you can
order a special presentation cable to output the display to a digital
projector.

> Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar, contacts
> and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all that, as it's a
> rather extensive database.

No problem. There is a huge body of people who have done this. Easiest way
is to first synch the Palm with Outlook (comes with the Axim and others),
then synch the Pocket PC with Outlook.

> Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when on the road
> in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little removable memory
> device?

There is a back up utility included with Pocket PCs, but to back up your
data to a storage card, you can buy Sprite Backup. Pocket PCs do benefit
from soft resets, but this is a 15 second no loss of data exercise. It is
only in the (unusual) event of a hard reset you will need to use the Sprite
restore.

> No buzzwords or acronyms, please, I'm not much of a techie.

Look for a Pocket PC which has both CF and SD slots for additional memory,
as you can run programmes from them. There are a LOT of programmes
available...

Good luck

Martin

> Thanks for any help.
>
> Susan G
June 7, 2005 12:22:22 AM

On Monday, Susan Gawarecki wrote:

<email on the move>

Pocket Outlook will work, but for more flexibility, I would
take a look at WebIS Mail instead. I don't know if you've
always used the standard PalmOS contacts and calendar s/ware
but if you used Agendus or anything, then you want to look
at either Pocket Informant or Agenda Fusion as replacements
to the built in PocketPC Diary and Contacts software.

> One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can
> present a slide show using PowerPoint and connecting
> to a digital projector, either with a cord or with
> Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support this?
> Do any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?

The Dell Axim X50v has this ability, though you do need to
buy either the Dell Presentation Pack, or a third party VGA
cable. Have a search on www.aximsite.com for more details.

> Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar,
> contacts and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all
> that, as it's a rather extensive database.

You can sync the Palm to Outlook and the PocketPC will then
sync to Outlook and bring the data in. It's painless - I did
it when I moved from PalmOS to PPC.

> Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when
> on the road in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little
> removable memory device?

All PocketPC devices come with either an SD or CF card slot,
and many have both (certainly my Axim X50v has both). You
can use either of these to (a) install software to to keep
your main/built in memory free to run programmes, (b) store
your documents and mp3's, etc and (c) use as a location to
backup to using something like Sprite Backup (which can be
set to make a backup every day onto storage card, and to
keep the past four backups or so).

Hope that this helps,

--
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryans-place.com>
Anonymous

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:53:47 GMT, Susan Gawarecki <locREMOVE@icx.net>
wrote:

>I have an older Handspring PDA which uses the Palm OS. It has served me
>well, but I'm looking to move up as I've outgrown its capacity. I have
>read a lot of reviews about the high-end Palm products, and battery life
>(or lack thereof) seems to be an major issue. So I'm also looking at
>PocketPCs.

Others have answered your other points, just so I'm only re battery.

I was a long term Palm user, last of which was a Tungsten 3 i.e. 400
Mhz and 64 megs RAM. It was reputedly quite fast at consuming battery
power, and compared with my previous Zire 71 it certainly was a
battery consumer.

But, having done the swap to a PPC, a Dell Axim X30 High, 624 Mhz or
something close, the battery is near to dead after 4 hours minimum
use, or less if pushed with WiFi and/or Bluetooth.

All I'm saying is don't expect better battery usage from a PPC. You
may indeed get worse battery usage. But, make the swap I've not
regrets, apart from the Palm larger screen and higher resolution
against the X30.

--
Bryan Bellis.
Don't hit REPLY to email me, my spam trap will

http://www.pcdr.co.uk/taxmaster

To email me, go to this web page link:
http://www.pcdr.co.uk/spam/antispam.html
June 7, 2005 1:37:47 AM

I too was a very long time Palm OS user, my last one was a Tungsten C
and I was very happy with it and was not looking for another PDA until
my darling husband decided that he wanted to try to use a PDA again.
Knowing his track record with PDAs and calendars, it was a no brainer
that he use my Tungsten and I get the new PDA. After much research I
settled on the Dell Axim X50v which I have been using for a week now. I
am extremely happy with my choice and although I have a long way to go
before I am even average at using it, I am learning new things every
day. I post many dumb questions in this newsgroup and so far people have
been great about answering them!!! Good luck with your choice. I too
used a Handspring visor many moons ago!!!

Susan

Susan Gawarecki wrote:

> I have an older Handspring PDA which uses the Palm OS. It has served me
> well, but I'm looking to move up as I've outgrown its capacity. I have
> read a lot of reviews about the high-end Palm products, and battery life
> (or lack thereof) seems to be an major issue. So I'm also looking at
> PocketPCs.
>
> In my job I do lots of documents, need to keep a calendar, notes,
> addresses, and occasionally do presentations. It would be nice to be
> able to check/send e-mail when on travel. I understand that most
> PocketPCs are pretty good with e-mail (using Outlook? - my preference is
> for Mozilla, but I guess compromises are possible).
>
> One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can present a slide
> show using PowerPoint and connecting to a digital projector, either with
> a cord or with Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support this? Do
> any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?
>
> Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar, contacts
> and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all that, as it's a rather
> extensive database.
>
> Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when on the road
> in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little removable memory device?
>
> No buzzwords or acronyms, please, I'm not much of a techie.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Susan G
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:48:02 PM

As someone who has made the switch in the last month I have to say
that you should realize this is the land of the true believer, with
all the associated tendencies to downplay negatives.

I, like you, was reluctant to use outlook for my e-mail. Otherwise
outlook works fine. I got pocket informant with my HP 4705 and find it
much, much preferable to the outlook interface. I would highly
recommend adding this to your new ppc.

If you're synchronizing with two computers as I am, it is not
seamless and not intuititive. I seem to have it down, but there were
glitches galore for the first few times.

I had two palmOS devices. The original handspring, which I used for
years and it got the job done, and a Sony Clie that I got a great deal
on.The Sony was ok, but had atrocious battery life (maybe why I got
the good deal?). The HP is a huge improvement as a machine, but I'm
less sure of the OS.
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 1:20:24 PM

You will be married to outlook if you want to use PPC for your calendar
and tasks.

You will lose some contact information when you sync to a PPC - for
example, embedded images, x.509 certificates, etc.

If you are going high-end, you are probably better with a Palm. I have
an AXIM x50, its probably as good as a PPC gets, but I would rather have
a palm in hindsight. Too late now - I spent the 500 bucks and I can coax
the thing along.

Doug

Martin wrote:
> Susan Gawarecki wrote:
>
>>I have an older Handspring PDA which uses the Palm OS. It has served
>>me well, but I'm looking to move up as I've outgrown its capacity. I
>>have read a lot of reviews about the high-end Palm products, and
>>battery life (or lack thereof) seems to be an major issue. So I'm
>>also looking at PocketPCs.
>>
>>In my job I do lots of documents, need to keep a calendar, notes,
>>addresses, and occasionally do presentations. It would be nice to be
>>able to check/send e-mail when on travel. I understand that most
>>PocketPCs are pretty good with e-mail (using Outlook? - my preference
>>is for Mozilla, but I guess compromises are possible).
>>
>>One thing I haven't been able to find out is if I can present a slide
>>show using PowerPoint and connecting to a digital projector, either
>>with a cord or with Bluetooth. Does the Windows Mobile OS support
>>this? Do any PocketPCs (and projectors) have this capability?
>

> A Dell Axim X50v will do all of the above. It has a VGA screen and you can
> order a special presentation cable to output the display to a digital
> projector.
>

> >>Also, is there a way to translate my existing Palm calendar, contacts

>>and notes into a PocketPC? I'd hate to lose all that, as it's a
>>rather extensive database.
>

> No problem. There is a huge body of people who have done this. Easiest way
> is to first synch the Palm with Outlook (comes with the Axim and others),
> then synch the Pocket PC with Outlook.
>

>>Also, is there a safe way to backup PocketPC contents when on the road
>>in case a reset is needed? Like maybe a little removable memory
>>device?
>

> There is a back up utility included with Pocket PCs, but to back up your
> data to a storage card, you can buy Sprite Backup. Pocket PCs do benefit
> from soft resets, but this is a 15 second no loss of data exercise. It is
> only in the (unusual) event of a hard reset you will need to use the Sprite
> restore.
>

>>No buzzwords or acronyms, please, I'm not much of a techie.
>

> Look for a Pocket PC which has both CF and SD slots for additional memory,
> as you can run programmes from them. There are a LOT of programmes
> available...
>
> Good luck
>
> Martin
>

>>Thanks for any help.
>>
>>Susan G

June 23, 2005 1:10:12 AM

doug ransom wrote:
> You will be married to outlook if you want to use PPC for your
> calendar and tasks.

I use Lotus Notes at work and Outlook at home...

> You will lose some contact information when you sync to a PPC - for
> example, embedded images, x.509 certificates, etc.

I never had any embedded images or x.509 certificates. Do many people?

> If you are going high-end, you are probably better with a Palm. I
> have an AXIM x50, its probably as good as a PPC gets, but I would
> rather have a palm in hindsight. Too late now - I spent the 500 bucks
> and I can coax the thing along.

The X50v is better for a high end PPC. Is there a VGA Palm with a screen the
size of an Axim or HP now?

Personally, I couldn't go back to a Palm and I used them for years (original
Palm Pilot, Palm Pilot Pro, IIIc, Sony Clie).

There never really seemed to be such good hardware for the Palm OS. We used
to kid ourselves it was because the OS was so great we didn't need it!

When Sony pulled out of the Palm sector, the writing was on the wall. A lot
of former Palm users have gone across to the dark side as Dell are pumping
out great units for little money.

Regards

Martin
!