mATX PSU recommendation

weilin

Distinguished
I am currently building a small formfactor pc so i settled on a mATX case and the athenatech psu that comes with it is 200w... Thats not enough to run anything so i need a better. Anyone have any recommendations for a microATX psu. All ideas welcome.

Projected pc build:
core 2 duo 6400
7600gt
2 x 1gb ddr2 667
cd/floppy/sata hd/board etc

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
!) if its micro atx for a small case get a module psu so you can remove unused cores - always get a module that as a build in atx - the main wire should not be module - clearance issues

2) 35-40 amps should be enough - even for a gpu upgrade to mid card

silverstone - my fav psu - 560w

i am not familiar with the case but i think a small psu will fit in most cases - you need check the measurements

You are better off looking for a m-ATX case that can use a standard ATX PSU like the Apevia X-QPack:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811144162

I would recommend replacing the PSU that it comes with. Such as the FSP Group AX450-PN 450w PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954

Your setup doesn't use a lot of power so it is not essential to replace the included PSU immediately. But Apevia PSU are relatively poor quality and it is in your best interest to replace it as soon as you can.

weilin

Distinguished
thank you, thats not a bad idea actually. I just need something that will match my livingroom. That thing is a bit taller but it will do. Now if it comes in Silver.... Hey it does! Thank you very much. This is perfect.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
Well, you can try to find deals on the Microfly on Ebay :wink: . Uhm, because the Microfly can accomodate a full ATX style PSU, I would definitely buy a reputable brand like Seasonic, Thermaltake, Enermax, OCZ, Corsair, (or any other decent brand I missed). You should definitely buy a modular PSU, and you should take a look at the Thermaltake Toughpower series.

PCKid777

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2005
That works too, but it all depends on your tastes and budget. Personally, that Lian-Li does not look as stylish nor as good looking as the Microfly. AND after shipping charges, the Lian-Li is about $45 more than the Microfly...

If you do buy the Microfly, can you let me know how much HS clearance it has? I'm planning on building a college PC on a mATX board and the Microfly but I want to know what the biggest HS the case can take...

(Lian-Li $99.99 + $15.99 = $115.98 whereas the Microfly is about $72 with FREE Shipping - Excluding sales tax of course...)

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
A lot of mATX cases can take a full-size PSU.

I'm thinking of getting the Thermaltake LanBox VF1000BWS and a OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU.

In some cases, it's actually better not to get a modular PSU because the additional cables sticking out of the unit will get in the way of the optical drive. With a non-modular unit, they all come out of the same spot and you can easily zip-tie them. With the Lanbox, the sides are non-removable and you can get one of those adhesive reusable clips, stick it to the side in front of the PSU, and open/close it when you need to change the wiring.

The LanBox looks like the best uATX case out there. It comes in black and silver, windowed or plain. The silver ones are aluminum, and the black ones are steel. It can even fit an 8800GTS (most likely a GTX if you don't use the hard drive cage) and a Thermaltake Blue Orb cooler. That's how awesome this case is, and if I do go uATX for my next build this is the case I'm getting.