March 10, 2007 10:16:01 PM

I already have a conroe e6300.

I think im going to get:

The gigabyte 965 ds3 mobo
some kinda 7200.10 baracuda drive
reuse a soundblaster live
some random case
antec 600w power supply
and either a 1950 xt or a 8800gts 640mb depending on whether i decide to wait for the r600 or not.

Whats missing? oh yea thats right ram... I have no Idea what kinda ram to get. its very likely im gonna try and do some newby over clocking help plz.

More about : clueless component

a b B Homebuilt system
March 10, 2007 10:43:54 PM

First your 600W PSU will probably not give enough juice to the 8000 or the R600. Next is that you need at least 1GB RAM. Please provide more information in order to provide more help. (ie price range, gaming vs budget, etc)
March 10, 2007 10:51:36 PM

Umm i was thinking 2-4 gigs of ram, its the brand, latency, and speed im not sure about. what kind of psu do i need?
Related resources
March 11, 2007 12:01:43 AM

Quote:
First your 600W PSU will probably not give enough juice to the 8000 or the R600. Next is that you need at least 1GB RAM. Please provide more information in order to provide more help. (ie price range, gaming vs budget, etc)

Wait for the R600, just to see if it affects the prices across the board. Otherwise 8800GTS (not the $300 model, which is only 320MB), it rapes the x1950xt in everything. The 600W PSU is enough, make sure it has 2 12v rails running over 20 amps, or 4 12 volt rails running 10-15 amps (if such a thing even exists)

With that kind of rig you want AT LEAST 2 gigs of DDR2 667, you'll hardly notice a difference between that and DDR2800 as far as gaming is concerned.

If you intend on running vista then go ahead and get 4 gigs of ram, it doesn't matter what brand really, just don't get anything with a CAS of over 4, preferably 3 but im sure that in 1 gig modules that'll cost a fortune, don't get 2 gig modules, their latency is crazy high, and things are gonna be bad enough since the C2Ds don't have an IMC.

As i said, The memory brand isn't important, Crucial and Corsair are prolly the best, but OCZ and Patriot are good, Kingston is nice too. The problem with Crucial (ballistix line) and Corsair (XMS or Dominator lines) is that they are crazy expensive... I myself went with Patriot 2GB (1GB x 2) DDR2667 and oced that to DDR2 800 with a .1 volt increase. Most good 667 memory should manage to do 800 with some voltage increase.

Don't underestimate the importance of the case. I don't know ur budget, but you want something with at least 1 120mm intake and 1 120mm exhaust. Airflow is critical for overclocking, or running in a warm enviroment, especially if you're not running water cooling and on stock HSF. My cousins and uncle got an antec case which i rather liked but it costs 130 i think... its the antec Performance one P180here
Its a very nice case and like most antec cases it is very functional. If your not willing to go all our on a case, then the Antec SOLO is also nice, but not at all good for CPU overclocking or GPU overclocking as it is rather small : here it is at newegg

I dunno what else to say for the time being.
March 11, 2007 12:18:59 AM

Quote:
If you intend on running vista then go ahead and get 4 gigs of ram, ...

Only if you're going with 64-bit Vista. 32-bit Vista still has the 4GB address space limit, so some of your 4GB (probably around 1GB) won't be visible or usable in the OS.
!