Intel E6600 vs athlon fx-72

shunail

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Under $420, which processor is a better pick??? For gaming with GeForce 8800GTS SLi cards and 3GB RAM.

Had Reserator 1 Plus, bought Reserator 2 and EK water blocks for GeForce 8800 SLI cards on A8N-SLI Deluxe and AMD Opetron 175. When turned on, fire blasted from one video card. Went out, got my card replaced (under extended warranty) just incase replaced PowerSupply with BFG 1000w PSU and motherboard with again A8N-SLI Deluxe. Now, system turns on but freezes over Windows XP Setup, sometimes doesn't turn on, somtimes it does then freezes or long beep on start. Now in the whole process, FluidXP+ Extreme leaked over the system, while system off though. Also noticed that the replacement board has BIOS version 1205 while ASUS never came out with this BIOS version for this board. Latest is 1016. Tried to flash BIOS but freezes while flashing; "Please wait!!!". Seems like no choice but to upgrade. Now I'm way off the processor performance knowledge. Should I got with Intel or AMD. (Toughest question) Comparing Opetron 170, I would need definately better than what I have right now OR any suggestion without replacing board, how to fix thi system. Please help. I'm extremely frustrated because of all this run around.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Everyone is going to say E6600, and they're correct. I don't know why you'd want to get an FX processor, it's a dying line, killed by pretty bad price versus performance.

The X2 6000+ is a better comparison to the E6600 in performance, but why spend $100 more for more or less the same result?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
yeah, it though, (not really) the intel is the better idea, it will out perform, and you can upgrade it as there is no sign of LGA775 dying

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
There is no such thing as an FX-72, did you mean the FX-62....
Jack
Are you kidding?! Isn't there a FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 lineup?! They have even been shown working as a single CPU solution on a QFX motherboard.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Well, you can get an E6600 and kick any AMD FX chip. However, within few monthe, AMD will showcase Barcelona CPUs, which are said to perform better than Core2s,... after that Intel will respond etc. So at the end, is a bit frustrating to give you a suggestion for a really 100% future proof upgrade.
If you can't absolutely wait, then get the E6600; it's a pretty robust chip with good OCing headroom for the future. Otherwise, I'd wait a few weeks till K10 benchmarks are around because a dual Barcelona platform (on an existing QFX) board is pretty tempting.

In this case, the E6600 is the better CPU --- overclocks better, runs as fast or faster, and runs cooler. Pairing any AMD chip at the moment with an 8800 in SLI is not wise. If you are favoring or wish to go with AMD, then the best bet is to wait for the Agena core to come out, this will offer significant improvement over current AMD products.

Jack
While I agree with your advise with regards to the FX chip for more than just that reason,
Newegg in stock: FX 72 Socket F

RichPLS

Champion
But that is a Socket F (1207 FX) running at 2x2.8GHz stock at 90nm ntm that virtually at top end of air clocking potential and costs $409 +sh vs. a E6600 running at 2.4GHz w/4MB cache 65nm and easily overclockable on air beyond 3.2GHz using only 1.4volts idling at 35C and stressed using Orthos at 53C...
Also I get 15.2sec SuperPi at 1m :D :lol:

sailer

Splendid
If you are favoring or wish to go with AMD, then the best bet is to wait for the Agena core to come out, this will offer significant improvement over current AMD products.

Jack

Question, when is the Agena chip going to come out? Also, any idea of its benches?

I suppose I could ask about the FX76 as well, but I doubt that cpu will do all that much better than the FX70-74 series has done.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
Jack
Are you kidding?! Isn't there a FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 lineup?! They have even been shown working as a single CPU solution on a QFX motherboard.Why would you buy a 4x4 motherboard if you only plan on running 1 CPU?

shunail

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Than I guess I should go with E6600 for now!! If in case, if any other processor would come out, and if socket 775 would exist, I'll upgrade CPU next year.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
If you are favoring or wish to go with AMD, then the best bet is to wait for the Agena core to come out, this will offer significant improvement over current AMD products.

Jack

Question, when is the Agena chip going to come out? Also, any idea of its benches?

I suppose I could ask about the FX76 as well, but I doubt that cpu will do all that much better than the FX70-74 series has done.

You would just as much luck asking Dr. Ruth when the next chip is going to be out... her answer would most likely be more interesting :) .... All I hear is Q3 2007 or there abouts.Yeah something about..... "hot and bothered". :wink: :oops:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Jack
Are you kidding?! Isn't there a FX-70, FX-72 and FX-74 lineup?! They have even been shown working as a single CPU solution on a QFX motherboard.Why would you buy a 4x4 motherboard if you only plan on running 1 CPU?
Because you might upgrade to two Barcelona quads in the future so don't want to spend a fortune for the moment.

sailer

Splendid

Jack

You would just as much luck asking Dr. Ruth when the next chip is going to be out... her answer would most likely be more interesting :) .... All I hear is Q3 2007 or there abouts.

No, I might have better luck asking Dr. Ruth. She'd probably tell me to find a new girlfriend who would keep my mind off of computers. :wink:

sailer

Splendid
oh and i figured i would reply again just to let you know i didnt buy a dell
lol
i build my own so i figured its a real good idea to use a G965 board and reuse my monitor and PSU and just play games
so far it works great.

A problem I see here is that by using on-board graphics, if I'm understanding this right, you're forcing the cpu to do both the its normal work and the graphics, thus slowing down the computer. Even a medium quality video card, in the $250 area, would speed up your computer by unloading the cpu, and that medium quality card wouldn't be the noisy, power hungry beast that the $600 cards are.

TRENDING THREADS