Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DS disappointing

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:01:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
wireless adapter,

I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.

More about : disappointing

Anonymous
November 21, 2004 9:44:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

theMonitor wrote:

> Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
> see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
> wireless adapter,
>
You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
that just after looking it up on the web.

> I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
> of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
>
Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.

Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in January.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:38:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" wrote:

> theMonitor wrote:
>
> > Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
> > see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
> > wireless adapter,
> >
> You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
> that just after looking it up on the web.
>
> > I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
> > of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
> >
> Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
> that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
> much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
> and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.
>
> Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
> won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in January.
>
> --
>
> Chet "Tech" Weaver
>
> AIM: PanGatomon
> MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
> eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
> Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
> ICQ: 122744531
> Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
>
> My Adventure Quest character:
> http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
> You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
>
> Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
> I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

What can you play with it?


--
Richard The Blind Typer
Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.
Related resources
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

I remember always entering those...
....and never winning.

Anyway, I don't plan on buying a DS until A) I get money, and B) it has a
bigger library. For the time being, there isn't a whole lot out there that
interests me, and my SP is lonely as it is...

"Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:30d28kF2t7pc1U1@uni-berlin.de...
> theMonitor wrote:
>
> > Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did
I
> > see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
> > wireless adapter,
> >
> You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
> that just after looking it up on the web.
>
> > I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the
idea
> > of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
> >
> Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
> that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
> much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
> and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.
>
> Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
> won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in
January.
>
> --
>
> Chet "Tech" Weaver
>
> AIM: PanGatomon
> MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
> eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
> Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
> ICQ: 122744531
> Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
>
> My Adventure Quest character:
> http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
> You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
>
> Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
> I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
>
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:42:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

The 2 slots are independent of each other, you select which you want to
play.


Excerpt from NDS FAQ
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/faq.jsp#gam...

a.. Can the DS play Game Boy games?

a..
What it can play:

a.. Game Boy Advance games in single-player mode only
b.. Game Boy Advance videos

What it cannot play:

c.. Original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games
d.. Game Boy Advance games in multi-player mode

Why there are limitations:
There are two main reasons that the Nintendo DS is not compatible with
older software. For one, the system is designed for wireless play and lacks
a link cable port. Because older games aren't designed to use the wireless
features, they can't communicate for multiplayer games.

Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to play
these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty in
adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture, the
processor was not included in the final design of the DS.




"Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
news:30d28kF2t7pc1U1@uni-berlin.de...
> theMonitor wrote:
>
>> Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
>> see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
>> wireless adapter,
>>
> You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
> that just after looking it up on the web.
>
>> I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the
>> idea of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
> Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
> that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so much
> smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game and a
> DS game by putting them both in the DS.
>
> Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
> won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in
> January.
>
> --
>
> Chet "Tech" Weaver
>
> AIM: PanGatomon
> MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
> eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
> Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
> ICQ: 122744531
> Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
>
> My Adventure Quest character:
> http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
> You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
>
> Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and I
> think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
>
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:49:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

.... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected properly.
Please do come again."


"theMonitor" <theMonitor@nothome.com> wrote in message
news:Ir6od.93665$Tq1.52608@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
> see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
> wireless adapter,
>
> I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
> of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
>
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:58:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, theMonitor wrote:
> Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to
> play these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty
> in adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture,
> the processor was not included in the final design of the DS.

In HumanSpeak: "Actually, there was no real reason to prevent full
functionality of Gameboy Advance games on the Nintendo DS. The choice came
down to either adding $3 worth of extra hardware to each unit or else making
people who want fully-working games buy the new titles. The proper choice
was obvious..."

--
"...there are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot
easily be duplicated by a normal, kindly family man who just comes into
work every day and has a job to do." [Terry Pratchett, "Small Gods"]
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/index.html
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:57:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

Joseph William Dixon wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, theMonitor wrote:
>
>> Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to
>>play these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty
>>in adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture,
>>the processor was not included in the final design of the DS.
>
>
> In HumanSpeak: "Actually, there was no real reason to prevent full
> functionality of Gameboy Advance games on the Nintendo DS. The choice came
> down to either adding $3 worth of extra hardware to each unit or else making
> people who want fully-working games buy the new titles. The proper choice
> was obvious..."
>
Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
heard they're working on a new SP.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531
Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com

My Adventure Quest character:
http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com

Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 7:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

In message <30f9c1F30h37fU2@uni-berlin.de>, Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!
<zeroohki@netscape.net> writes

[snip]

>>
>Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
>heard they're working on a new SP.
>
There is little doubt in my mind that it was intended to be the direct
replacement for the GBA right up until the point that Nintendo got wind
of the specs for the Sony PSP, and realised that with Sony's marketing
leverage, they could be in bother.
--
FatHippy
'Poking death in the face with a big stick and then running away'
(To reply by e-mail, please replace {$spamtrap$} with fathippy)
Name: Fats Town: Bauhaus
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 3:27:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"theMonitor" <theMonitor@nothome.com> wrote in message
news:tBpod.96452$Tq1.68576@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
> ... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
> Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected
> properly. Please do come again."

I've got the same problem with the DS that I had with the original GBA. You
can't hold the DS in your left hand and play while you're eating a sandwich
or something with your right hand. I like to play Pokemon while I'm snarfing
done my food, and the horizontal design makes it really hard.

Anyway, I've already got 2 of the old GBA, and 1 GBA SP, so I won't be
getting a DS until the new pokemon games for it come out.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:08:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

"FatHippy" <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote in message
news:wB6ry0oUcApBFwx$@fathippy.net...
>>Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
>>heard they're working on a new SP.
>
> There is little doubt in my mind that it was intended to be the direct
> replacement for the GBA right up until the point that Nintendo got wind of
> the specs for the Sony PSP, and realised that with Sony's marketing
> leverage, they could be in bother.

Assuming that that's true, though, they'd have had to change the DS to the
point where it was no longer the same console after receiving their crazy
intelligence of doom. I assume that if they WERE working on the new
GameBoy, then they just put that on the backburner, and started the DS from
scratch as a Third Type Of Console.

Either way, I doubt DS was ever going to be a direct replacement.

--
Steffan Alun

http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

Sapphire PokéDex: 201

LeafGreen PokéDex: 109
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:58:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

I understand where everyone is coming from on these...the fact is that the
earliest press releases
clearly stated that the DS was NOT a replacement for the GBA, but an
additional new system
all its own. Note that the words Game Boy do not appear in the DS title,
although my customers often ask for the Game Boy DS. The addition of GBA
playability was an afterthought, not in the original plan.

Yes, I wish the wireless would work with FR/LG, but it doesn't. Perhaps
Emerald will add a
recognition of the DS wireless system.

On a positive note, Super Mario 64 DS is absolutely addicting! The
multiplayer (which requires only 1 copy of the game and other players
download it to their DS) is cool and the minigames are fantastic. Yes, I
only have a GBA SP for the purpose of playing pokemon, but my DS I actually
use for other games! I can't wait for Animal Crossing DS, Pokemon Dash,
Shin Megami Tensei and of course Pokemon D/P.


"Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:iK2dnchkg5deczncRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> "theMonitor" <theMonitor@nothome.com> wrote in message
> news:tBpod.96452$Tq1.68576@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>> ... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
>> Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected
>> properly. Please do come again."
>
> I've got the same problem with the DS that I had with the original GBA.
> You can't hold the DS in your left hand and play while you're eating a
> sandwich or something with your right hand. I like to play Pokemon while
> I'm snarfing done my food, and the horizontal design makes it really hard.
>
> Anyway, I've already got 2 of the old GBA, and 1 GBA SP, so I won't be
> getting a DS until the new pokemon games for it come out.
>
>
!