DS disappointing

Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
wireless adapter,

I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
11 answers Last reply
More about disappointing

    theMonitor wrote:

    > Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
    > see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
    > wireless adapter,

    You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
    that just after looking it up on the web.

    > I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
    > of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.

    Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
    that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
    much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
    and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.

    Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
    won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in January.

    --

    Chet "Tech" Weaver

    AIM: PanGatomon
    MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    ICQ: 122744531

    My Adventure Quest character:

    "Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" wrote:

    > theMonitor wrote:
    >
    > > Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
    > > see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
    > > wireless adapter,
    > >
    > You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
    > that just after looking it up on the web.
    >
    > > I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the idea
    > > of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
    > >
    > Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
    > that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
    > much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
    > and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.
    >
    > Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
    > won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in January.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
    >
    > AIM: PanGatomon
    > MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    > eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    > Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    > ICQ: 122744531
    > Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
    >
    > My Adventure Quest character:
    > http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
    > You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
    >
    > Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
    > I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

    What can you play with it?

    --
    Richard The Blind Typer
    Lets Hear It For Talking Computers.

    I remember always entering those...
    ....and never winning.

    Anyway, I don't plan on buying a DS until A) I get money, and B) it has a
    bigger library. For the time being, there isn't a whole lot out there that
    interests me, and my SP is lonely as it is...

    "Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > theMonitor wrote:
    >
    > > Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did
    > > see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
    > > wireless adapter,
    > >
    > You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
    > that just after looking it up on the web.
    >
    > > I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the
    idea
    > > of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
    > >
    > Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
    > that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so
    > much smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game
    > and a DS game by putting them both in the DS.
    >
    > Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
    > won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in
    January.

    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
    >
    > AIM: PanGatomon
    > MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    > eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    > Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    > ICQ: 122744531
    > Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
    >
    > My Adventure Quest character:
    > http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
    > You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
    >
    > Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and
    > I think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

    The 2 slots are independent of each other, you select which you want to
    play.

    Excerpt from NDS FAQ
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/ds/faq.jsp#gameboy

    a.. Can the DS play Game Boy games?

    a..
    What it can play:

    a.. Game Boy Advance games in single-player mode only
    b.. Game Boy Advance videos

    What it cannot play:

    c.. Original Game Boy or Game Boy Color games
    d.. Game Boy Advance games in multi-player mode

    Why there are limitations:
    There are two main reasons that the Nintendo DS is not compatible with
    older software. For one, the system is designed for wireless play and lacks
    a link cable port. Because older games aren't designed to use the wireless
    features, they can't communicate for multiplayer games.

    Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to play
    these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty in
    adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture, the
    processor was not included in the final design of the DS.

    "Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!" <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > theMonitor wrote:
    >
    >> Well, the DS is out, and NOWHERE in all the pre-release information did I
    >> see that the DS wireless communication was incompatable with the GBA
    >> wireless adapter,
    >>
    > You weren't looking in the right places. A friend of mine told me about
    > that just after looking it up on the web.
    >
    >> I don't think Emerald is going to be re-vamped to use the DS, and the
    >> idea of trading from Emerald to Pearl/Diamond will be highly unlikely.
    > Isn't the DS backwards-compatible with GBA games? Unless I'm mistaken,
    > that requires the use of a second slot since the DS cartridges are so much
    > smaller. One could imagine that you could trade between a GBA game and a
    > DS game by putting them both in the DS.
    >
    > Incidently, I don't plan on buying a DS until after I'm certain I hadn't
    > won Nintendo Power's Player's Poll Contest. That'll probably be in
    > January.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Chet "Tech" Weaver
    >
    > AIM: PanGatomon
    > MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    > eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    > Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    > ICQ: 122744531
    > Webcomic: http://desperadocoyote.keenspace.com
    >
    > My Adventure Quest character:
    > http://www.battleon.com/aq-chardetail.asp?temp=131213
    > You can play Adventure Quest at http://www.battleon.com
    >
    > Sometimes, I notice someone has posted a reply to one of my messages and I
    > think, "Oh, great, what did I say this time?"

    .... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
    Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected properly.
    Please do come again."

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, theMonitor wrote:
    > Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to
    > play these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty
    > in adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture,
    > the processor was not included in the final design of the DS.

    In HumanSpeak: "Actually, there was no real reason to prevent full
    functionality of Gameboy Advance games on the Nintendo DS. The choice came
    down to either adding $3 worth of extra hardware to each unit or else making
    people who want fully-working games buy the new titles. The proper choice
    was obvious..."

    Joseph William Dixon wrote:

    > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, theMonitor wrote:
    >
    >> Also, the Nintendo DS lacks the special processor that is required to
    >>play these games. Because of the age of the processor, and the difficulty
    >>in adding that processor to an already highly complicated architecture,
    >>the processor was not included in the final design of the DS.
    >

    > In HumanSpeak: "Actually, there was no real reason to prevent full
    > functionality of Gameboy Advance games on the Nintendo DS. The choice came
    > down to either adding $3 worth of extra hardware to each unit or else making
    > people who want fully-working games buy the new titles. The proper choice
    > was obvious..."

    Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
    heard they're working on a new SP.

    --

    Chet "Tech" Weaver

    AIM: PanGatomon
    MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
    eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
    Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
    ICQ: 122744531

    My Adventure Quest character:

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    In message <30f9c1F30h37fU2@uni-berlin.de>, Chet Weaver - F**k Yeah!
    <zeroohki@netscape.net> writes

    [snip]

    >Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
    >heard they're working on a new SP.

    There is little doubt in my mind that it was intended to be the direct
    replacement for the GBA right up until the point that Nintendo got wind
    of the specs for the Sony PSP, and realised that with Sony's marketing
    leverage, they could be in bother.
    --
    FatHippy
    'Poking death in the face with a big stick and then running away'

    > ... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
    > Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected
    > properly. Please do come again."

    I've got the same problem with the DS that I had with the original GBA. You
    can't hold the DS in your left hand and play while you're eating a sandwich
    or something with your right hand. I like to play Pokemon while I'm snarfing
    done my food, and the horizontal design makes it really hard.

    Anyway, I've already got 2 of the old GBA, and 1 GBA SP, so I won't be
    getting a DS until the new pokemon games for it come out.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    "FatHippy" <{$spamtrap$}@fathippy.net> wrote in message
    >>Well, it's not like the DS is supposed to replace the GBA. In fact, I
    >>heard they're working on a new SP.
    >
    > There is little doubt in my mind that it was intended to be the direct
    > replacement for the GBA right up until the point that Nintendo got wind of
    > the specs for the Sony PSP, and realised that with Sony's marketing
    > leverage, they could be in bother.

    Assuming that that's true, though, they'd have had to change the DS to the
    point where it was no longer the same console after receiving their crazy
    intelligence of doom. I assume that if they WERE working on the new
    GameBoy, then they just put that on the backburner, and started the DS from
    scratch as a Third Type Of Console.

    Either way, I doubt DS was ever going to be a direct replacement.

    --
    Steffan Alun

    http://iceduck.pkmn.co.uk/ - my site
    http://www.pkmn.co.uk/ - want Pokeyman?

    Sapphire PokéDex: 201

    LeafGreen PokéDex: 109
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.nintendo.pokemon (More info?)

    I understand where everyone is coming from on these...the fact is that the
    earliest press releases
    clearly stated that the DS was NOT a replacement for the GBA, but an
    additional new system
    all its own. Note that the words Game Boy do not appear in the DS title,
    although my customers often ask for the Game Boy DS. The addition of GBA
    playability was an afterthought, not in the original plan.

    Yes, I wish the wireless would work with FR/LG, but it doesn't. Perhaps
    Emerald will add a
    recognition of the DS wireless system.

    On a positive note, Super Mario 64 DS is absolutely addicting! The
    multiplayer (which requires only 1 copy of the game and other players
    download it to their DS) is cool and the minigames are fantastic. Yes, I
    only have a GBA SP for the purpose of playing pokemon, but my DS I actually
    use for other games! I can't wait for Animal Crossing DS, Pokemon Dash,
    Shin Megami Tensei and of course Pokemon D/P.

    "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > "theMonitor" <theMonitor@nothome.com> wrote in message
    >> ... and I've already tried to play LG on the DS and FR on GBA w/ Wireless
    >> Adapter. " Unfortunately, your wireless Adapter is not connected
    >> properly. Please do come again."
    >
    > I've got the same problem with the DS that I had with the original GBA.
    > You can't hold the DS in your left hand and play while you're eating a
    > sandwich or something with your right hand. I like to play Pokemon while
    > I'm snarfing done my food, and the horizontal design makes it really hard.
    >
    > Anyway, I've already got 2 of the old GBA, and 1 GBA SP, so I won't be
    > getting a DS until the new pokemon games for it come out.

Video Games