RIS Single Subnet

Have some problems with RIS running on a single subnet. This should be
very easy but it give me a big headache. The error I'm getting from
the clients is PXE-E51 which would indicate that it's not getting the
RIS information and I would have to add the DHCP helper but as I
stated above this is a single subnet (switched)
Here is my Configuration:
DHCP on Domain Control
RIS on Member Server Authorized in AD

I also tried installing RIS directly on the DHCP server and client
recieved the same error. The I was able to get the clients to work
once when I connected the RIS/DHCP/Domain controller and clients to a
hub? This would indicate that there is something block RIS broadcast
on the switches but I don't know what it could be?

Thanks
Kevin
2 answers Last reply
More about single subnet

    Kevin,

    I had the same problem. You might try this:

    Once you have installed RIS through windows components,
    and added your images. The next step is to tell your MS
    DHCP service what machine to use for TFTP booting. Do this
    by opening the DHCP application and right click on scope
    options and select properties. Then you will have to go
    down to #66 TFTP Boot Server Name and put a check in that
    box and type in the name of your RIS server.
    Next you have to configure the RIS Server. You can
    accomplish this 2 ways. I prefer to use the ADSI edit
    utility, since I can get directly to the setting without
    hunting for it.
    In ADSI edit open the Domain Controller and look for the
    object that has the Remote Installation Services in the
    name. Right click on this folder and select properties.
    From here you will need to look at 4 settings:

    NetBootAllowNewClients ==== set it to TRUE

    NetbootAnswerOnlyValidClients === Set it to FALSE (you
    can set this to TRUE but you have to Pre-STAGE your
    clients in AD if you set to TRUE)

    NetbootAnswerRequests === TRUE

    Netboot SErver Name : make sure this points to your Server.

    My setup was exactly the same. A small network of 5
    clients and 1 server. My server is a Win2000 Domain
    Controller ,running DHCP, DNS, Active Directory and RIS.

    Go to the Microsoft WHITE PAPER on RIS Setup and Usage:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000ser
    v/deploy/depopt/remoteos.mspx

    Hope this helps you.

    I had a simlar problem..

    If you can get a dhcp address you should not havee to worry about that..

    if not then dhcp helper it could be..

    my problem was that i testedwith ris and dhcp on the same server once i had
    each on a seperate box thats when i had the problem..

    found i had to authorise the server in dhcp..

    open dhcp console

    right click on dhcp and select add server

    enter fqdn for server

    once thats done i think you then need to

    righ click on dhcp again

    select manage authorised server

    select the new server added and select authorise..

    you should be ok..

    Cheers,
    Andrew

    "Kevin" <klocke@techdata.com> wrote in message
    > Have some problems with RIS running on a single subnet. This should be
    > very easy but it give me a big headache. The error I'm getting from
    > the clients is PXE-E51 which would indicate that it's not getting the
    > RIS information and I would have to add the DHCP helper but as I
    > stated above this is a single subnet (switched)
    > Here is my Configuration:
    > DHCP on Domain Control
    > RIS on Member Server Authorized in AD
    >
    > I also tried installing RIS directly on the DHCP server and client
    > recieved the same error. The I was able to get the clients to work
    > once when I connected the RIS/DHCP/Domain controller and clients to a
    > hub? This would indicate that there is something block RIS broadcast
    > on the switches but I don't know what it could be?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Kevin

Subnet DHCP Windows