Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming system.. suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
March 11, 2007 12:46:49 AM
March 11, 2007 1:00:04 AM

quite a system --- may want to try to configure this at ibuypower.com just to see if there might be any cost savings. They have your motherboard, harddrives, etc, as options (didnt check every component but it looks they have most or all of what you selected.

just go to ibuypower.com and select the intel core 2 duo configuator ---and select everything you want ---and at the end it will provide you with total cost- dont know if it will save you money or not but worth a shot.
March 11, 2007 1:12:31 AM

ibuypower has been rated real low.
Related resources
March 11, 2007 11:20:18 AM

*APROVED* Very good selections for a gaming rig.
March 11, 2007 1:08:09 PM

If you're going to spend $170 on a PSU, you can do much better than Thermaltake. (And as good as that system is, it doesn't need anywhere close to 700 watts--it's not even SLI!).

I would recommend something more like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

SeaSonic is a much more trusted brand in this price range.

Everything else looks great!
March 11, 2007 3:04:24 PM

HDD: Raptor X (If for no other reason than it looks cool). If you can afford it how about SAS?

Video Card: Looks good. GTX if you can afford it.

Mobo: eVGA 680i.

PSU: Look into the Corsair PSUs. You don't need 700W with that setup.

HSF: The only way to air cool your system is with a Noctua HSF. They are incredible. Much better than the Tuniq Tower.

CPU: Looks good. Depending on budget 6700? 6600 is a good OCer though.

RAM: OCZ or Corsair. Corsair if you are an eletist who wants bragging rights with the performance and OCZ if you are looking for some good quality RAM. Their DDR2 800 models are on par with Corsair's. Go with OCZ's nVIDIA SLi Certified model. Graet OCer.
March 11, 2007 5:25:32 PM

Joe,

Did not know ibuypower was rated real low --- never bought from them --- but recently discovered them on internet --- what caught my attention was all the selections from cases, power supplies, motherboards, etc, that allows you to really customize your system to excactly what you want.

Will not recomend them in future (or at least give caveat that there rating is low) --- do you know why there rated low - is it due to cost or service --- just curious as you cant really dispute the performance aspect as you can get exactly what you want.
March 11, 2007 7:02:06 PM

I have that PSU in case i go sli(depends on cash flow and wife aggro lol).
If I go with the EVGA mobo what memory do I use, it says DDR2 1200, but i'm not breaking the bank for that. And any PSU I would change to must be modular.
March 11, 2007 8:43:42 PM

Quote:
I have that PSU in case i go sli(depends on cash flow and wife aggro lol).
If I go with the EVGA mobo what memory do I use, it says DDR2 1200, but i'm not breaking the bank for that. And any PSU I would change to must be modular.

Corsair's PSUs are modular. They are also very good. Their higher power one will be more than enough for an SLi setup on your rig. With the eVGA mobo just go with OCZ's nVIDIA SLi certified DDR2 800. EXTREMELY good OCer. I am running mine (Crossfire certified but pretty much the same model) at 940MHz.
!