RIS and KB835732 don't work with each other!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

After applying pesky Windows Update KB835732 (MS04-011) to a computer, I am
no longer able to use the RipRep.exe utility to rip images to the RIS
server.

You'll receive this lovely message:
The RIS server to which you are attempting to post this installation does
not contain the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image on
the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to image.
Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to or
add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server.
when you start Riprep.

Anyone know if MS knows about it? I remember the exact same thing happening
around this time last year right before they released SP4.

(I'm using W2K Server Sp4 to delpoy W2K Pro SP4 images)

This is because the hotfix updates the ntoskrnl.exe file and riprep
needs to have the same version on the RIS Server system image.

Solution:
Replace the original ntoskrnl.exe on the RIS server with the hotfixed
ntoskrnl.exe from the client

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:35:34 -0500, <MMM> wrote:

>After applying pesky Windows Update KB835732 (MS04-011) to a computer, I am
>no longer able to use the RipRep.exe utility to rip images to the RIS
>server.
>
>You'll receive this lovely message:
>The RIS server to which you are attempting to post this installation does
>not contain the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image on
>the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to image.
>Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to or
>add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server.
>when you start Riprep.
>
>Anyone know if MS knows about it? I remember the exact same thing happening
>around this time last year right before they released SP4.
>
>(I'm using W2K Server Sp4 to delpoy W2K Pro SP4 images)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

That's a bit dangerous... what about my other images that don't have the
hotfix applied? When I image machines who knows what will happen?

"Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
wrote in message news:car98096oqrv5gfvn16tipo6edmsqpv1h4@4ax.com...
> This is because the hotfix updates the ntoskrnl.exe file and riprep
> needs to have the same version on the RIS Server system image.
>
> Solution:
> Replace the original ntoskrnl.exe on the RIS server with the hotfixed
> ntoskrnl.exe from the client
>
> regards
> Johan Arwidmark
>
> Windows User Group - Nordic
> http://www.wug-nordic.net
>

> On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 18:35:34 -0500, <MMM> wrote:
>
> >After applying pesky Windows Update KB835732 (MS04-011) to a computer, I
am
> >no longer able to use the RipRep.exe utility to rip images to the RIS
> >server.
> >
> >You'll receive this lovely message:
> >The RIS server to which you are attempting to post this installation does
> >not contain the correct CD-based image. The version of the CD-based image
on
> >the server must match the version of the system you are attempting to
image.
> >Please either select a different RIS server to post this installation to
or
> >add the corresponding CD-based image to the current RIS server.
> >when you start Riprep.
> >
> >Anyone know if MS knows about it? I remember the exact same thing
happening
> >around this time last year right before they released SP4.
> >
> >(I'm using W2K Server Sp4 to delpoy W2K Pro SP4 images)

You can always upload an extra Windows 2000 SP4 system image and
replace ntoskrnl.exe in that one....

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic