Advanced appearance, "color 2"

The active and inactive title bars on my pc have suddenly gone to all solid
colors, whereas before they were in 2 colors. I have XP and I know how to
change it, but the option has disappeared (faded out). Under Display
Properties - Appearance - Advanced Appearance, "color 2" is no longer
available foi any of the desktop elements. I have no idea why and it's
driving me nuts. A little help?

Byte

Under Item, if you select Desktop you'll have only choice of color 1.
Scroll down to active or inactive Title Bar and select/highlight them you'll
have
the choice of color 1 and/or color 2.

"MPB2" wrote:

> The active and inactive title bars on my pc have suddenly gone to all solid
> colors, whereas before they were in 2 colors. I have XP and I know how to
> change it, but the option has disappeared (faded out). Under Display
> Properties - Appearance - Advanced Appearance, "color 2" is no longer
> available foi any of the desktop elements. I have no idea why and it's
> driving me nuts. A little help?

I know that only one color choice is normally available for the desktop. But
this is now also the case for ALL desktop elements, including the active and
inactive tital bars.

"MPB2" wrote:

> The active and inactive title bars on my pc have suddenly gone to all solid
> colors, whereas before they were in 2 colors. I have XP and I know how to
> change it, but the option has disappeared (faded out). Under Display
> Properties - Appearance - Advanced Appearance, "color 2" is no longer
> available for any of the desktop elements. I have no idea why and it's
> driving me nuts. A little help?

I know that only one color choice is normally available for the desktop.
However, that is now also the case for ALL desktop elements, including the
active and inactive title bars. To reiterate, under Advanced Appearance,
"color 2" is no longer available for any of the desktop elements.

"Byte" wrote:

> Under Item, if you select Desktop you'll have only choice of color 1.
> Scroll down to active or inactive Title Bar and select/highlight them you'll
> have
> the choice of color 1 and/or color 2.
>
> "MPB2" wrote:
>
> > The active and inactive title bars on my pc have suddenly gone to all solid
> > colors, whereas before they were in 2 colors. I have XP and I know how to
> > change it, but the option has disappeared (faded out). Under Display
> > Properties - Appearance - Advanced Appearance, "color 2" is no longer
> > available foi any of the desktop elements. I have no idea why and it's
> > driving me nuts. A little help?

Well I seem to have fixed it. I made some random changes to the
UserPreferencesMask registry key, all to no avail. Then I tried system
retore and WHAM! Fixed. The funny thing is, I had already tried using
system retore back to the same restore point prior to the problem, and it
didn't work. Go figure.

"MPB2" wrote:

> I know that only one color choice is normally available for the desktop.
> However, that is now also the case for ALL desktop elements, including the
> active and inactive title bars. To reiterate, under Advanced Appearance,
> "color 2" is no longer available for any of the desktop elements.
>
> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > Under Item, if you select Desktop you'll have only choice of color 1.
> > Scroll down to active or inactive Title Bar and select/highlight them you'll
> > have
> > the choice of color 1 and/or color 2.
> >
> > "MPB2" wrote:
> >
> > > The active and inactive title bars on my pc have suddenly gone to all solid
> > > colors, whereas before they were in 2 colors. I have XP and I know how to
> > > change it, but the option has disappeared (faded out). Under Display
> > > Properties - Appearance - Advanced Appearance, "color 2" is no longer
> > > available foi any of the desktop elements. I have no idea why and it's
> > > driving me nuts. A little help?

eduvalim

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
It was happening the same to me:

Windows XP
Display Properties > Appearance > Windows and buttons = Windows Classic Style
Display Properties > Appearance > Advanced > Active Title Bar > Color 2 = [ Button was grayed out... no option to select 'Color 2' ]
Display Properties > Settings > Color quality = Highest (32 bit)

Apparently no problem, right?
Wrong! There was a problem, and I just discovered it!

Even without using a second monitor, the option to extend the desktop to a second monitor was active, and this monitor was configured with the 'Color quality = Low (8 bit)'.
I turned off the option 'Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor', and everything go back to normal, immediatelly: 2 colors on the active title bar.

\o/