Windows 2000 upgrade

I tried to upgrade my pc from windows 98 to windows 2000.
However, I did not do a clean install. The installation
process got 99% of the way through where is saves the
settings. The install then stops and then reboots and the
whole install process is started over. It will do this for
hours if I let it.
When I put in a ms-dos startup disk, only my d: drive
shows up, not my c:. I have the original win 98 install cd
and the win 2000 cd.
If possible I would like to get the documents back before
formating anything.
PLEASE HELP!! I am a desperate college student that needs
to get to my VB .net projects ASAP!
Can I boot from the win 98 cd?
Thanks,
Nathan