Can this printer be networked?

psychsoldier

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Sorry for the newbie question, but i just bought a Canon MP830 all-in-one printer and it works fantastic. However we need to be able to print from my laptop as well as the computer it is physically attached to. I am running a wireless router (D-link Gaming) and wanted to know what has to be done, if it can be to allow me to print using the wireless network. I know about windows "file and print sharing", but i dont want someone getting on my network either. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Windows printer and file sharing is pretty straightforward. You don't need to select file sharing to be able to share a printer. Actually, file sharing is a really good feature. Saves a lot of time transfering files via flash drive or limiting yourself to certain functions on a certain computer.

Your router manual should have a tutorial that discusses network security. There are quite a few things you can do including hiding your wireless network name and WEP encryption to reduce the chances of someone getting into your network. You can use google to find some good tutorials and it really isn't as tough as it sounds at first. My advice is that you make sure you write down your settings, passwords, and computer names as you complete the steps.

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I agree. I have a Brother MFC laser that is 3-4 years old. I print from both the main puter as well as my wife's. You do have to enable "Printer Sharing" in the OS on both machines. I'm not too worried about security as the OS has built in features as the above post says.

psychsoldier

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Sounds great, but which computer do i use to set up printer sharing, the one it is plugged into makes sense, but i just want to make sure.

Thanks!!

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I had to install the printer on both machines. Control panel/Printers & Faxes. Then R click the printer you want to share, then 2nd tab in to "Sharing", click on share this printer. This has to be done on both computers. I'd start with the main puter, then you may have to add the printer to the 2nd puter.

rickkipp

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
That's great! You may want to write that down, because you may lose contact with the printer again. For no reason at all, at times my setting change, and I have to through it all again. If that happens, go to the Printers/Faxes folder, R click the faulty printer and delete it! Then reboot, which should auto add the printer, and double check the sharing tabs on both puters. Glad it worked out, tho.