RIS Error

Hi Guys,

My problem today is this I have a RIS server running in a switched
environment where my DHCP server and RIS server are on seperate VLANS.

My problme is this.

When booting the machine from the PXE Boot

I get this error

"PXE-E53: No Boot filename received

Anyone have any ideas and suggestions??

Thankyou,
Andrew Paiti

You need to configure Dhcp Helper address on the switches and/or use a
DHCP Server that supports the "Next-Server" DHCP Option.

The spanning tree protocol might also cause the request not being
delivered to the server (enabling portfast on the switches can help in
that scenario)

Reference
Installing and Configuring for Cisco Network Boot Operation
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/sn5400/netboot/cnbic2_1/setup.pdf

PXE Clients Do Not Receive an IP Address from a DHCP Server Across a
Router
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257579

Troubleshooting RIS Clients (PXE)
http://www.wug-nordic.net/articles/ris-pxe-trouble.htm

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:35:14 +1200, "Andrew Paiti"
<andrew.paiti@openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>My problem today is this I have a RIS server running in a switched
>environment where my DHCP server and RIS server are on seperate VLANS.
>
>My problme is this.
>
>When booting the machine from the PXE Boot
>
>I get this error
>
>"PXE-E53: No Boot filename received
>
>Anyone have any ideas and suggestions??
>
>Thankyou,
>Andrew Paiti

Thanks Johan,

however I found that I my problem was with DHCP authorisation.
In my lab i ran DHCP and RIS on same box, at work I ran them on seperate
boxes. And had to authorise my ris server in dhcp.

All ok