RIS Error

Hi Guys,

My problem today is this I have a RIS server running in a switched
environment where my DHCP server and RIS server are on seperate VLANS.

My problme is this.

When booting the machine from the PXE Boot

I get this error

"PXE-E53: No Boot filename received

Anyone have any ideas and suggestions??

Thankyou,
Andrew Paiti
2 answers Last reply
More about error

    You need to configure Dhcp Helper address on the switches and/or use a
    DHCP Server that supports the "Next-Server" DHCP Option.

    The spanning tree protocol might also cause the request not being
    delivered to the server (enabling portfast on the switches can help in
    that scenario)

    Reference
    Installing and Configuring for Cisco Network Boot Operation
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/sn5400/netboot/cnbic2_1/setup.pdf

    PXE Clients Do Not Receive an IP Address from a DHCP Server Across a
    Router
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257579

    Troubleshooting RIS Clients (PXE)
    http://www.wug-nordic.net/articles/ris-pxe-trouble.htm

    regards
    Johan Arwidmark

    Windows User Group - Nordic
    http://www.wug-nordic.net

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:35:14 +1200, "Andrew Paiti"
    <andrew.paiti@openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote:

    >Hi Guys,
    >
    >My problem today is this I have a RIS server running in a switched
    >environment where my DHCP server and RIS server are on seperate VLANS.
    >
    >My problme is this.
    >
    >When booting the machine from the PXE Boot
    >
    >I get this error
    >
    >"PXE-E53: No Boot filename received
    >
    >Anyone have any ideas and suggestions??
    >
    >Thankyou,
    >Andrew Paiti

    Thanks Johan,

    however I found that I my problem was with DHCP authorisation.
    In my lab i ran DHCP and RIS on same box, at work I ran them on seperate
    boxes. And had to authorise my ris server in dhcp.

    All ok

    "Johan Arwidmark" <johan.please_respond_to_forum.arwidmark@lutteman.se>
    wrote in message news:f4pc805truu3rkf5qh71am0mc7pc7a38cc@4ax.com...
    > You need to configure Dhcp Helper address on the switches and/or use a
    > DHCP Server that supports the "Next-Server" DHCP Option.
    >
    > The spanning tree protocol might also cause the request not being
    > delivered to the server (enabling portfast on the switches can help in
    > that scenario)
    >
    > Reference
    > Installing and Configuring for Cisco Network Boot Operation

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/sn5000/sn5400/netboot/cnbic2_1/setup.pdf

    > PXE Clients Do Not Receive an IP Address from a DHCP Server Across a
    > Router
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=257579
    >
    > Troubleshooting RIS Clients (PXE)
    > http://www.wug-nordic.net/articles/ris-pxe-trouble.htm
    >
    > regards
    > Johan Arwidmark
    >
    > Windows User Group - Nordic
    > http://www.wug-nordic.net
    >

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:35:14 +1200, "Andrew Paiti"
    > <andrew.paiti@openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi Guys,
    > >
    > >My problem today is this I have a RIS server running in a switched
    > >environment where my DHCP server and RIS server are on seperate VLANS.
    > >
    > >My problme is this.
    > >
    > >When booting the machine from the PXE Boot
    > >
    > >I get this error
    > >
    > >"PXE-E53: No Boot filename received
    > >
    > >Anyone have any ideas and suggestions??
    > >
    > >Thankyou,