W2K+ SP4 Disk space

JJ

Hi,

I've got an old system that I need to hang onto for the moment because of
hardware restraints & it just meets the criteria for a W2K installation...
but it only has a 2 gigabyte hard disk (and they don't even make the upgrade
hard disk any more).

When I install Windows 2000 on it, it's great, cuz it only takes up about
500 megs, and works fine, but when I add SP4, it bumps up the disk space
requirement to just about a gigabyte - and with lots of uninstall
directories, despite the fact that I tell SP4 not to have an uninstall
method.

Is there any list somewhere of the files and directories that are absolutely
needed in a WINNT directory? Or a list of the absolute minimum required? Can
I junk some stuff that I'm not using? Which ones? Can I get rid of those
**** uninstall directories? Is there any other way I could reduce the space
required?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

JJ

p.s. By the way, I'm an MCSE (NT4), MCSD & a few other certs, so I've tried
all the obvious things like defragging, cleaning out the temp directory,
etc.

have you tried slip streaming sp4 into your win2k dist?

"jj" <jj@network1.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've got an old system that I need to hang onto for the moment because of
> hardware restraints & it just meets the criteria for a W2K installation...
> but it only has a 2 gigabyte hard disk (and they don't even make the
upgrade
> hard disk any more).
>
> When I install Windows 2000 on it, it's great, cuz it only takes up about
> 500 megs, and works fine, but when I add SP4, it bumps up the disk space
> requirement to just about a gigabyte - and with lots of uninstall
> directories, despite the fact that I tell SP4 not to have an uninstall
> method.
>
> Is there any list somewhere of the files and directories that are
absolutely
> needed in a WINNT directory? Or a list of the absolute minimum required?
Can
> I junk some stuff that I'm not using? Which ones? Can I get rid of those
> **** uninstall directories? Is there any other way I could reduce the
space
> required?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> JJ
>
> p.s. By the way, I'm an MCSE (NT4), MCSD & a few other certs, so I've
tried
> all the obvious things like defragging, cleaning out the temp directory,
> etc.

Sorry didint see your other post!