RIS and 3rd party Network driver

Mike

Splendid

Hey guys, I have a problem trying to get my RIS image installed onto a Dell
Latitude D400. Its using a built-in Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
Controller.

I have a Win 2000 Server running SP4, trying to install a Win2k pro sp4
image. It goes through and gets the infamous doesn't have the necessary
network drivers message.

What I have done so far:

* created these directories on my ris server

RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic

* Copied the OEM-supplied .inf, .sys and .cat files for the Nic to the i386
folder of the RIS image

* Added this info to my sif file (Copied right from my sif file)
[Unattended]
OemPreinstall = yes
OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

* Restart the Remote Installation (BINLSVC) Service

* Acquire the KB 823658 hotfix from MS

* Deleted all .pnf-files from the RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
folder

* Modified the b57w2k.inf to look like this according to broadcoms website

Original Revised

[Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
%BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom

[ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *

[Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]

And still no luck!!!! How does anyone get this to work?!?!?! What am I
missing guys, I've never had to fight with something this hard for this long
before! Any help/insite/ideas would be appreciated!!

Thanks guys!!

Mike

Splendid

S.O.B!!!! After all these problems. Don't read so hard into the destructions
of the MS KB's. To make this work, copy your drivers into the I386 folder of
your ORIGINAL image!!! You know when when you were running the RISSETUP and
it asked you for the original windows 2000 pro cd? Thats the I386 folder
they are refering to!! NOT your new image I386 folder that you just ran
riprep to create!!! Hope that helps a lot of people out!!

"Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
> DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
>
> * Restart the Remote Installation (BINLSVC) Service
>
> * Acquire the KB 823658 hotfix from MS
>
> * Deleted all .pnf-files from the
RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> folder
>
> * Modified the b57w2k.inf to look like this according to broadcoms
website

> Original Revised
>
> [Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
> %BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom
>
> [ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
> ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *
>
> [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]
>

> And still no luck!!!! How does anyone get this to work?!?!?! What am I
> missing guys, I've never had to fight with something this hard for this
long
> before! Any help/insite/ideas would be appreciated!!

Hi

I found a mistake : don't copy files to the i386 but to the nic directory
($1\drivers\nic)

And don't edit the inf file (because this file is signed by the driver and
it could cause driver not to install)

--
________________________________
Nicolas

"This behavior is by design" (Microsoft)
________________________________

Mike

Splendid

Thanks!

I recopied the original drivers back. and removed the drivers from the I386
folder. No go.

Any other ides?? Anyone else like to take a crack at it???

Mike

"Kirioss" <niconews@ifrance.com> wrote in message
> "Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message
> > Hey guys, I have a problem trying to get my RIS image installed onto a
> Dell
> > Latitude D400. Its using a built-in Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
> > Controller.
> >
> > I have a Win 2000 Server running SP4, trying to install a Win2k pro sp4
> > image. It goes through and gets the infamous doesn't have the necessary
> > network drivers message.
> >
> > What I have done so far:
> >
> > * created these directories on my ris server
> >
> > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic
> >
> > * Copied the OEM-supplied .inf, .sys and .cat files for the Nic to the
> i386
> > folder of the RIS image
> >
> > * Added this info to my sif file (Copied right from my sif file)
> > [Unattended]
> > OemPreinstall = yes
> > OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
> > DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
> >
> > * Restart the Remote Installation (BINLSVC) Service
> >
> > * Acquire the KB 823658 hotfix from MS
> >
> > * Deleted all .pnf-files from the
> RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > folder
> >
> > * Modified the b57w2k.inf to look like this according to broadcoms
> website
> >
> > Original Revised
> >
> > [Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
> > %BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom
> >
> > [ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
> > ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *
> >
> > [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]
> >

> > And still no luck!!!! How does anyone get this to work?!?!?! What am I
> > missing guys, I've never had to fight with something this hard for this
> long
> > before! Any help/insite/ideas would be appreciated!!
>
> Hi
>
> I found a mistake : don't copy files to the i386 but to the nic directory
> ($1\drivers\nic)
>
> And don't edit the inf file (because this file is signed by the driver and
> it could cause driver not to install)
>
> --
> ________________________________
> Nicolas
> kirioss.stoplapub@ifrance.com
>
> "This behavior is by design" (Microsoft)
> ________________________________

Did you run riprep??

Whats the error message??

> S.O.B!!!! After all these problems. Don't read so hard into the
destructions
> of the MS KB's. To make this work, copy your drivers into the I386 folder
of
> your ORIGINAL image!!! You know when when you were running the RISSETUP
and
> it asked you for the original windows 2000 pro cd? Thats the I386 folder
> they are refering to!! NOT your new image I386 folder that you just ran
> riprep to create!!! Hope that helps a lot of people out!!
>

> "Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message
> > Hey guys, I have a problem trying to get my RIS image installed onto a
> Dell
> > Latitude D400. Its using a built-in Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
> > Controller.
> >
> > I have a Win 2000 Server running SP4, trying to install a Win2k pro sp4
> > image. It goes through and gets the infamous doesn't have the necessary
> > network drivers message.
> >
> > What I have done so far:
> >
> > * created these directories on my ris server
> >
> > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic
> >
> > * Copied the OEM-supplied .inf, .sys and .cat files for the Nic to the
> i386
> > folder of the RIS image
> >
> > * Added this info to my sif file (Copied right from my sif file)
> > [Unattended]
> > OemPreinstall = yes
> > OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
> > DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
> >
> > * Restart the Remote Installation (BINLSVC) Service
> >
> > * Acquire the KB 823658 hotfix from MS
> >
> > * Deleted all .pnf-files from the
> RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > folder
> >
> > * Modified the b57w2k.inf to look like this according to broadcoms
> website
> >
> > Original Revised
> >
> > [Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
> > %BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom
> >
> > [ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
> > ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *
> >
> > [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]
> >

> > And still no luck!!!! How does anyone get this to work?!?!?! What am I
> > missing guys, I've never had to fight with something this hard for this
> long
> > before! Any help/insite/ideas would be appreciated!!
> >
> > Thanks guys!!

Any news on this subject? I also experience this problem and nothing
seems to help. I used the HP drivers and this seems to work with the
cd based image but not with the riprep image. I keep getting tyhe
message "The operating system image you selected does not contain the
necessary drivers for your network adapter" when i try to install the
riprep image on my Dell Latitude D600. the patch of microsoft doiesn't
seem to work either. Anybody who has solved this problem?

Olivier

"Andrew Paiti" <andrew.paiti@openpolytechnic.ac.nz> wrote in message news:<1083820069.586027@huey.openpolytechnic.ac.nz>...
> Did you run riprep??
>
> Whats the error message??
>
> "Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message
> > S.O.B!!!! After all these problems. Don't read so hard into the
> destructions
> > of the MS KB's. To make this work, copy your drivers into the I386 folder
> of
> > your ORIGINAL image!!! You know when when you were running the RISSETUP
> and
> > it asked you for the original windows 2000 pro cd? Thats the I386 folder
> > they are refering to!! NOT your new image I386 folder that you just ran
> > riprep to create!!! Hope that helps a lot of people out!!
> >

> > "Mike" <mike@work.com> wrote in message
> > > Hey guys, I have a problem trying to get my RIS image installed onto a
> Dell
> > > Latitude D400. Its using a built-in Broadcom 570x Gigabit Integrated
> > > Controller.
> > >
> > > I have a Win 2000 Server running SP4, trying to install a Win2k pro sp4
> > > image. It goes through and gets the infamous doesn't have the necessary
> > > network drivers message.
> > >
> > > What I have done so far:
> > >
> > > * created these directories on my ris server
> > >
> > > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > > RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\$oem$\$1\Drivers\Nic
> > >
> > > * Copied the OEM-supplied .inf, .sys and .cat files for the Nic to the
> i386
> > > folder of the RIS image
> > >
> > > * Added this info to my sif file (Copied right from my sif file)
> > > [Unattended]
> > > OemPreinstall = yes
> > > OemPnpDriversPath = \Drivers\Nic
> > > DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore
> > >
> > > * Restart the Remote Installation (BINLSVC) Service
> > >
> > > * Acquire the KB 823658 hotfix from MS
> > >
> > > * Deleted all .pnf-files from the
> RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\win2k\i386
> > > folder
> > >
> > > * Modified the b57w2k.inf to look like this according to broadcoms
> website
> > >
> > > Original Revised
> > >
> > > [Manufacturer] [Manufacturer]
> > > %BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1 %BRCM% = Broadcom
> > >
> > > [ControlFlags] [ControlFlags]
> > > ExcludeFromSelect = * ExcludeFromSelect = *
> > >
> > > [Broadcom.NTx86.5.1] [Broadcom]
> > >

> > > And still no luck!!!! How does anyone get this to work?!?!?! What am I
> > > missing guys, I've never had to fight with something this hard for this
> long
> > > before! Any help/insite/ideas would be appreciated!!
> > >
> > > Thanks guys!!

You have done nearly evrything right I think. Try copying the .INF to the
$oem$\$$\INF directory.