bibble wrote:

> http://www.ds4free.com/default.aspx?r=67702
>
> Follow link, follow instructions and get confirmation of free DS. My first
> one took 3 days and the next one took 7 days. COOL! thats gonna save me
> something like £100 when its released!!!

In other words, it took him three days to get four people to sign up,
and another seven to bring the total up to eight. From what I can
gather, you get a DS by e-mailing four friends and getting them to do
the same. I don't think I know four people willing to help me get a
free DS.

--

Chet "Tech" Weaver

"We never feel we are ready for whatever's calling us; The point is to
do it anyway."

AIM: PanGatomon
MSN: Nichirasu@hotmail.com
eMail: zeroohki at netscape dot net
Yahoo! Messenger: tech_weaver
ICQ: 122744531

"Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season"
<zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
> bibble wrote:
>
>> http://www.ds4free.com/default.aspx?r=67702
>>
>> Follow link, follow instructions and get confirmation of free DS. My
>> first one took 3 days and the next one took 7 days. COOL! thats gonna
>> save me something like £100 when its released!!!
>>
> In other words, it took him three days to get four people to sign up, and
> another seven to bring the total up to eight. From what I can gather, you
> get a DS by e-mailing four friends and getting them to do the same. I
> don't think I know four people willing to help me get a free DS.

I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who have never heard of a
pyramid scheme. Do a litle research on "Ponzi" and you'll see why this is a
bad idea.

Brion K. Lienhart wrote:
> "Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season"
> <zeroohki@netscape.net> wrote in message
>
>>bibble wrote:
>>

>>>http://www.ds4free.com/default.aspx?r=67702
>>>
>>>Follow link, follow instructions and get confirmation of free DS. My
>>>first one took 3 days and the next one took 7 days. COOL! thats gonna
>>>save me something like £100 when its released!!!
>>>

>>In other words, it took him three days to get four people to sign up, and
>>another seven to bring the total up to eight. From what I can gather, you
>>get a DS by e-mailing four friends and getting them to do the same. I
>>don't think I know four people willing to help me get a free DS.
>

> I'm constantly amazed by the number of people who have never heard of a
> pyramid scheme. Do a litle research on "Ponzi" and you'll see why this is a
> bad idea.

According to ds4free.com's FAQ, it's not a pyramid scheme because
everyone who participates gets the same prizes. I suppose, then, it
makes it more of a voluntary comsumer-driven direct-marketing promotion.
And doesn't the money go UP the pyramid in the scheme? It's not like
the free DS's come from the people who sign up.

--

wrote:
> According to ds4free.com's FAQ, it's not a pyramid scheme because
> everyone who participates gets the same prizes. I suppose, then, it
> makes it more of a voluntary comsumer-driven direct-marketing promotion.
> And doesn't the money go UP the pyramid in the scheme? It's not like
> the free DS's come from the people who sign up.

No, actually, pyramid schemes usually have the same prize in the end.
After a while (if it lasts long enough), the top ranks are bumped off
the list, and stop collecting. Granted, in this case the people signing
up don't have to pay the top levels - but that isn't what makes a
pyramid scheme, contrary to what ds4free.com says.

The problem is that there are only so many people willing to go along
with it, so the bottom ranks - which make up the vast majority of people
in the scheme, if you run the numbers - get nothing for their efforts.
And you do put out some of your effort, in getting your friends to sign
up. (Most of your friends will find that their friends - the ones they
share with you - have already signed up, so they get screwed too.
That's assuming you aren't one of said unfortunates, having been
recruited by your possibly-soon-to-be-ex-friend - that is, unless said
friend made it clear you were only helping that friend score a DS and
you were not expecting to score anything yourself.)

"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season
> wrote:
>> According to ds4free.com's FAQ, it's not a pyramid scheme because
>> everyone who participates gets the same prizes. I suppose, then, it
>> makes it more of a voluntary comsumer-driven direct-marketing promotion.
>> And doesn't the money go UP the pyramid in the scheme? It's not like the
>> free DS's come from the people who sign up.
>
> No, actually, pyramid schemes usually have the same prize in the end.
> After a while (if it lasts long enough), the top ranks are bumped off
> the list, and stop collecting. Granted, in this case the people signing
> up don't have to pay the top levels - but that isn't what makes a
> pyramid scheme, contrary to what ds4free.com says.

If they put in a disclaimer "This is not a pyramid scheme". It *IS* a
pyramid scheme.
The essence of all pyramid schemes involve you doing something. Then you get
X number of people to do something, then they each recruit X number of
people to do something. The people at the top levels get all the benefits,
and the people at the bottom levels get screwed. It may only be $4, but it's
still a scam.

On 2004-12-01 15:02:08 -0500, "Brion K. Lienhart" <brionl@comcast.net> said:

Not traditional Pyramid

> "Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season wrote:
>>> According to ds4free.com's FAQ, it's not a pyramid scheme because
>>> everyone who participates gets the same prizes. I suppose, then, it
>>> makes it more of a voluntary comsumer-driven direct-marketing
>>> promotion. And doesn't the money go UP the pyramid in the scheme? It's
>>> not like the free DS's come from the people who sign up.
>>
>> No, actually, pyramid schemes usually have the same prize in the end.
>> After a while (if it lasts long enough), the top ranks are bumped off
>> the list, and stop collecting. Granted, in this case the people signing
>> up don't have to pay the top levels - but that isn't what makes a
>> pyramid scheme, contrary to what ds4free.com says.
>
> If they put in a disclaimer "This is not a pyramid scheme". It *IS* a
> pyramid scheme.
> The essence of all pyramid schemes involve you doing something. Then
> you get X number of people to do something, then they each recruit X
> number of people to do something. The people at the top levels get all
> the benefits, and the people at the bottom levels get screwed. It may
> only be $4, but it's still a scam.

You're deffinition of a Pyramid scheme is correct. And in many ways
this deal falls under the same category. Ideally if one person signed
up and then got friends and those friends got other friends to sign up,
and so on and so, eventually at the bottom of the pyramid, those people
won't have anyone left to sign up...so they get nothing.

So in that sense, yes, it's a pyramid. HOWEVER, MOST pyramids involve
people at the bottom paying up. This is not the same.

In this sceme you do not pay up at all. The company offering the prize
makes it money by referring you to a new service. This is advertising.
Say company X is offering you a Gameboy DS for signing up with AOL.
You are not paying Company X. You are paying AOL. AOL pays Company X
a finder's fee for bringing in new members.

No one pays up the pyramid or down the pyramid.

Now eventually you run into the same problem, running out of people.
However, if you have a friend, relative, whatever who happens to want
one of the offered services (example, my dad recently wanted AOL -- for
only god knows why). He want's aol regardless. BUt if he signs up as
your reference, you get a Gameboy. Everyone wins.

I'm not arguing for or against. And in all honesty, it's really hard
to get people to look at this way. But it is a different perspective.

And btw, after 2 months, I was able to get an Apple iPod by this method.

Just my perspective
http://www.ds4free.com/default.aspx?r=68137

csipod wrote:
> No one pays up the pyramid or down the pyramid.

Incorrect. You pay up the pyramid by giving your name, address, and
other info - data which marketers believe to be of value to them. The
free DSes are a payment "down the pyramid", from those on top to others
below.

There are things other than money that can serve as payment. Some of
them, like data (or the perception of love), can be extremely ephemeral
- but they are still received as payment for something else.

On 2004-12-02 00:26:08 -0500, Adrian Tymes <wingcat@pacbell.net> said:

> csipod wrote:
>> No one pays up the pyramid or down the pyramid.
>
> Incorrect. You pay up the pyramid by giving your name, address, and
> other info - data which marketers believe to be of value to them. The
> free DSes are a payment "down the pyramid", from those on top to others
> below.
>
> There are things other than money that can serve as payment. Some of
> them, like data (or the perception of love), can be extremely ephemeral
> - but they are still received as payment for something else.

Good point. I can't argue that form of payment. I was referring to
monetary payment, only.

But, your point is made.

Be well,

Bibble

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004

I now have my DS, sweet.

"Adrian Tymes" <wingcat@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Chet Weaver - Wishing You a Very Happy Non-Demoninational Winter Season
> wrote:
>> According to ds4free.com's FAQ, it's not a pyramid scheme because
>> everyone who participates gets the same prizes. I suppose, then, it
>> makes it more of a voluntary comsumer-driven direct-marketing promotion.
>> And doesn't the money go UP the pyramid in the scheme? It's not like the
>> free DS's come from the people who sign up.
>
> No, actually, pyramid schemes usually have the same prize in the end.
> After a while (if it lasts long enough), the top ranks are bumped off
> the list, and stop collecting. Granted, in this case the people signing
> up don't have to pay the top levels - but that isn't what makes a
> pyramid scheme, contrary to what ds4free.com says.
>
> The problem is that there are only so many people willing to go along
> with it, so the bottom ranks - which make up the vast majority of people
> in the scheme, if you run the numbers - get nothing for their efforts.
> And you do put out some of your effort, in getting your friends to sign
> up. (Most of your friends will find that their friends - the ones they
> share with you - have already signed up, so they get screwed too.
> That's assuming you aren't one of said unfortunates, having been
> recruited by your possibly-soon-to-be-ex-friend - that is, unless said
> friend made it clear you were only helping that friend score a DS and
> you were not expecting to score anything yourself.)

TRENDING THREADS