Reinstall OS

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I have a notebook computer running Windows 2k and need to reinstall an os of
Windows 98. I tried to remove the partition and reformat the hard disk
without success. The removal seems ok but once reboot the system, the
original partition returns. Can someone tell me how to fix it.

Thanks,

Ray

Ray wrote:

> I have a notebook computer running Windows 2k and need to reinstall an os of
> Windows 98.

What a horrible concept! Why on earth would anyone want to do this?

> I tried to remove the partition and reformat the hard disk
> without success.

You need to explain how you removed the partiton and how you reformatted
it? What tool did you use, and what version? Usually, you'd use FDISK to
delete all existing partitions, then create a primary DOS in either
FAT16 or FAT32, then format it, then run Windows 98 setup.

--
Gerry Hickman (London UK)

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Gerry,

Good questions!!

I am not going back the old OS. In fact, I got a NB computer from my boss
who brought from our other office. He forgot the Windows password so the
system is locked. In order to break it, I need to re-install Windows 2k
Pro. The computer does not have CD-ROM drive. I have a USB floppy drive
only so I planned to install Windows 95OSR2 on the hard disk and copy
Windows 2k Pro disk from network drive for upgrade. However, I cannot
format the hard disk. Now, I believe the hard disk is protected by
SafeGuard Easy program. I have no idea how to uninstall this program. Is
there any way to format the hard disk without uninstall this program. You
help and/or any other suggestion to accomplish this task is greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray