Kingston 1gb ram difference...... WHY?

Sparko

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hello people

Well i just want advice/comments on the ram difference i got.
When i started building my pc .. i just had 1GB ram and planned that gradually i will keep adding 1gb until i reach my target of 4 gb ...
recently i added one more stick of 1gb ram to it ....
now the first stick was assembled in taiwan ... i checked its clock cycles using cpu-z it was like this
2ylnqqv.jpg

and the 2nd stick was assembled in china .... and i checked its clock cycles using cpu-z it was like this
436os5z.jpg

i mean y the difference ... both are pc-4200 and have speeds of 533mhz

Q2: .. now there 2 more empty slots there and i will add 2 more sticks of 667mhz since 533 are no more available .. so then will the speed be 533 or 667 ....

Sparko

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
The newer stuff is capeable of tighter memory timings.

To be honest that stuff has horrible timings though... The disadvantages of cheap RAM I suppose, everyone goes for MHz when latencies are equally important....

Sparko

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

To be honest that stuff has horrible timings though... The disadvantages of cheap RAM I suppose, everyone goes for MHz when latencies are equally important....

hey dude thanks .. but about cheap ram .. dude ... 8O kingston is THE most expensive :roll: ram here where i live .. so ther is no question of cheapness ... also wat about the 2nd question i asked .... .... and for the timings .. what shud be NOT HORRIBLE timings according to you

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
*not an expert but as I understand it*
Most memory modules I find are about 5-5-5-15 for the cheaper ones. There are a lot of 4-4-4-12 around now, and you can get even tighter latencies, but these are (usually) a lot more expensive, because, as said before, latencies are just as important as frequency. Personally, I don't think there is a whole lotta difference in say, FPS, between 533 (cl5) and 667 (cl5), more so if upgrading from 553 (cl5) to 1066 (cl4) - but the cost difference is far too much in my opinion for those extra 3 FPS!

Q2. Memory speed will run by default at the speed of the slowest module (so no use buying those 1066's if you're just mixing it with a 533)

Hope that helps...

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
It is best to have 4 sticks the same speed, even from different makers. If you go faster, you will only gain the fact that the new RAM is Faster, and next upgrade after that you buy more of the fast stuff and replace the slow stuff. You did not print your speeds, the latancies are fine for the sticks you have

Sparko

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It is best to have 4 sticks the same speed, even from different makers. If you go faster, you will only gain the fact that the new RAM is Faster, and next upgrade after that you buy more of the fast stuff and replace the slow stuff. You did not print your speeds, the latancies are fine for the sticks you have

so r u trying to say dat if the next 2 sticks i buy are 667 .... it will not make any difference ... will my speed remain 533 ..... and now dat da fact is in the place where i live 533 is running outta stock

thanks
sparko

alcattle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
if you buy 2 sticks of 667 and use them with the 533, all of the memory will run at 533. then you upgrade the old 533 sticks with 2 new 667 sticks then all the memory will run at 667.
You have "A" sticks (553)
You buy "B" sticks (667) A + B will run at 533
If you then buy 2 more 667 "C"
B + C will run at 667 and you can sell the "rare" 533 sticks for more than you paid :D

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005

hey dude thanks .. but about cheap ram .. dude ... 8O kingston is THE most expensive :roll: ram here where i live .. so ther is no question of cheapness ... also wat about the 2nd question i asked .... .... and for the timings .. what shud be NOT HORRIBLE timings according to you

IMHO 4-4-4-12 @ 800MHz, or 3-3-3-12 @ 667MHz are nice timings. You can go to 5-5-5-15 @ 800MHz or 4-4-4-12 @667MHz on a budget.

5-4-4-12 @ 533MHz is rather weak... its the rough equivalent of 8-6-6-18 @ 800MHz.

Kingston RAM is not as highly regarded for overclocking and high performance RAM as other brands like Corsair, Crucial, OCZ.

Sparko

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

IMHO 4-4-4-12 @ 800MHz, or 3-3-3-12 @ 667MHz are nice timings. You can go to 5-5-5-15 @ 800MHz or 4-4-4-12 @667MHz on a budget.

5-4-4-12 @ 533MHz is rather weak... its the rough equivalent of 8-6-6-18 @ 800MHz.

Kingston RAM is not as highly regarded for overclocking and high performance RAM as other brands like Corsair, Crucial, OCZ.

OK dude agreed ... dat ocz, crucial, corsair are better dan kingston .... like u say ... but what do i do .. since where i live there are only 3 brands .. kingston, spectek, and the 3rd one is so cheap that it dosent have a brand name ... in dat case i guess my choise is good ... anyways thanks for the help ... i guess i have to sell out both 533's and get 4x 677's

Chao
Sparko

Mondoman

Splendid
Remember that the speeds and timings you showed in your CPU-Z images do NOT indicate how fast/good the memory is. Those SPD settings are specially chosen to be conservative and work with as many different MBs as possible at 1.8V. Both sticks could in fact have identical designs and identical chips, and just have slightly different settings programmed into their SPDs by the two different manufacturing locations. You will have to experiment on your system to see how fast each stick really is.