How to set boot flag

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
do it.

I can do it from a third-party partition manager of course, but if I'm
giving advice on how to fix the boot-flag position, I'd prefer to
specify standard XP utilities for the job.

--
Dave Farrance
4 answers Last reply
More about boot flag
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Do you mean set the active partition? Using fdisk utility from a win98
    startup disk should do it.

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Dave Farrance" wrote:
    | Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
    | boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
    | do it.
    |
    | I can do it from a third-party partition manager of course, but if I'm
    | giving advice on how to fix the boot-flag position, I'd prefer to
    | specify standard XP utilities for the job.
    |
    | --
    | Dave Farrance
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

    >"Dave Farrance" wrote:
    >| Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
    >| boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
    >| do it.

    >Do you mean set the active partition? Using fdisk utility from a win98
    >startup disk should do it.

    Yes. I'd still prefer to find a way of doing it with W2000/XP tools, if
    such a way exists. If I give advice to others, specifying a free third
    party tool is preferable to specifying a proprietary tool from another
    OS, albeit a previous Microsoft OS.

    --
    Dave Farrance
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    These articles may help or make yourself a boot floppy. Once the OS is
    started use the Disk Management snap-in to set the correct partition as
    active.

    For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
    "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
    DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
    ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
    boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;228004
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315261

    --
    Regards,

    Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect


    "Dave Farrance" wrote:
    | Yes. I'd still prefer to find a way of doing it with W2000/XP tools, if
    | such a way exists. If I give advice to others, specifying a free third
    | party tool is preferable to specifying a proprietary tool from another
    | OS, albeit a previous Microsoft OS.
    |
    | --
    | Dave Farrance
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

    >These articles may help or make yourself a boot floppy. Once the OS is
    >started use the Disk Management snap-in to set the correct partition as
    >active.
    >
    >For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
    >"NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
    >DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
    >ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
    >boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;228004
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315261

    Thanks. That'd do it although it is bit messy. It would seem that
    Microsoft's own recommended remedy is what you said originally: Find a
    W95/98/Me boot floppy.

    --
    Dave Farrance
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Windows