How to set boot flag

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
May 2, 2004 1:46:09 PM

Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
do it.

I can do it from a third-party partition manager of course, but if I'm
giving advice on how to fix the boot-flag position, I'd prefer to
specify standard XP utilities for the job.

--
Dave Farrance

More about : set boot flag

Anonymous
May 2, 2004 1:46:10 PM

Do you mean set the active partition? Using fdisk utility from a win98
startup disk should do it.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Dave Farrance" wrote:
| Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
| boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
| do it.
|
| I can do it from a third-party partition manager of course, but if I'm
| giving advice on how to fix the boot-flag position, I'd prefer to
| specify standard XP utilities for the job.
|
| --
| Dave Farrance
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 7:51:14 PM

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

>"Dave Farrance" wrote:
>| Does anybody know if it's possible to set the position of the partition
>| boot-flag from the recovery console? Neither fixboot or fixmbr seem to
>| do it.

>Do you mean set the active partition? Using fdisk utility from a win98
>startup disk should do it.

Yes. I'd still prefer to find a way of doing it with W2000/XP tools, if
such a way exists. If I give advice to others, specifying a free third
party tool is preferable to specifying a proprietary tool from another
OS, albeit a previous Microsoft OS.

--
Dave Farrance
May 2, 2004 7:51:15 PM

These articles may help or make yourself a boot floppy. Once the OS is
started use the Disk Management snap-in to set the correct partition as
active.

For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
"NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;228004
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315261

--

"Dave Farrance" wrote:
| Yes. I'd still prefer to find a way of doing it with W2000/XP tools, if
| such a way exists. If I give advice to others, specifying a free third
| party tool is preferable to specifying a proprietary tool from another
| OS, albeit a previous Microsoft OS.
|
| --
| Dave Farrance
Anonymous
May 2, 2004 8:34:53 PM

"Dave Patrick" <mail@NoSpam.DSPatrick.com> wrote:

>These articles may help or make yourself a boot floppy. Once the OS is
>started use the Disk Management snap-in to set the correct partition as
>active.
>
>For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the
>"NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a
>DOS/Win9x, so the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), then copy
>ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it; and possibly ntbootdd.sys. Edit the
>boot.ini to give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;228004
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315261

Thanks. That'd do it although it is bit messy. It would seem that
Microsoft's own recommended remedy is what you said originally: Find a
W95/98/Me boot floppy.

--
Dave Farrance
!