Swedish Characters in W2K logon prompt

I have a US W2000 Server with Swedish keyboard layout.
I want to use swedish characters in the Administrator
password but the login prompt is in US keyboard layout.
After login the server changes to swedish layout.
Tried to set Swedish as default keyboard layout. Even if
I delete the US keyboard set there is no difference.
Where do W2000 get the language layout for the login
prompt?

Regards,
Patrik Gisselsson

Hi Patrik,

Thanks for posting!

My name is Jeff and I understand your issue to be:
How to use the Swedish Characters in W2k logon prompt?

If I have misunderstood your issue please let me know.

Based on my test, this can be done.

The keyboard layout is a per user setting. At the Winlogon window, it
loads the default user's profile that is not configured in any of your
currently loaded profile. By defaul, it only load English layout on an
English version of Windows 2000. We may change it by modify the registry
directly.

We may need to add a value by the steps below:

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall Windows. Microsoft cannot guarantee that
problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved.
Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Having said that, I would still like to provide assistance. Follow the
steps below carefully:

1. Type regedit from Start > Run and press OK.
2. Locate the following node from the left pane:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Keyboard Layout\Preload

By default, in English version of Windows 2000, it will have a value named
"1" in the right pane. It has a data string "00000409" that refers to an
English keyboard layout.

If you want to add a Swedish keyboard layout, you may put a new REG_SZ
value "2" with the data "0000041d".

At logon window, you may use the Left Alt+shift to switch to Swedish
keyboard layout.

If you want the system logon by default uses Swedish keyboard, you may
change the "1" data from "00000409" to "0000041d" directly.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or
questions regarding the issue.

Best Regards,

Jeff Qiu
Microsoft Online Partner Support
MCSE 2000, MCDBA, MCSA

--------------------
>From: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>Sender: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>Subject: Swedish Characters in W2K logon prompt
>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 02:11:44 -0700
>microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
>
>I have a US W2000 Server with Swedish keyboard layout.
>I want to use swedish characters in the Administrator
>password but the login prompt is in US keyboard layout.
>After login the server changes to swedish layout.
>Tried to set Swedish as default keyboard layout. Even if
>I delete the US keyboard set there is no difference.
>Where do W2000 get the language layout for the login
>prompt?
>
>Regards,
>Patrik Gisselsson

Hi Jeff!

You have solved my problem. Thanx alot!!

Regards,
Patrik Gisselsson

confers no rights.

>--------------------
>>From: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>>Sender: "Update" <technet@update.se>
>>Subject: Swedish Characters in W2K logon prompt
>>Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 02:11:44 -0700
>>microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
>>
>>I have a US W2000 Server with Swedish keyboard layout.
>>I want to use swedish characters in the Administrator
>>password but the login prompt is in US keyboard layout.
>>After login the server changes to swedish layout.
>>Tried to set Swedish as default keyboard layout. Even
if
>>I delete the US keyboard set there is no difference.
>>Where do W2000 get the language layout for the login
>>prompt?
>>
>>Regards,
>>Patrik Gisselsson
>>

>.

You are welcome, Patrik! We look forward to helping you in the future!

Have a nice day!