Strange sound

belial

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I think my videocard is making a strange sound and it isn't the cooler. I'm having some issues with my cooler on my card but i think that isn't the source of the sound as i unplugged the cooler of the videocard and yet the sound didn't stop. Finaly, i have a Daytona FX5500 256MB/128bit (with no overclocking). When i unplug the video card from her AGP slot and start the system, that sound stops, when i replug it in, and start it again the sound is present. Even when i stop the cooler, the sound is there again. I have a GA-7N400-L Gigabyte mobo and an original Allied 400W power supply. I think the source of the sound is the videocard itself (not the cooler or anything). I consider to be of use that you know this sound is similar to what i've encountered few months ago, when i simply moved my mouse when runing a 3D app, but this time it's much louder (annoying).
I would surely be thanking you if you could just point me the faulty component.

belial

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
i have a spare power supply. that one came with the case and was just only 350W (it isn't certified) so i replaced it with this allied which is great (certified at 400W + its silent and i didn't have any power issues as i have 1xdvdrw + 1xcdrw + 1xhdd).
I doubt it is the power supply that's making this strange sound but i will replace it and let you know what happend.

belial

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
it's like the sound that comes out of an old hard-drive but it's a sound of high frequency (like a dog whistle). i've checked it with my old power supply but that one makes a much louder noise i couldn't hear this stupid noise. And it accentuates when the hdd works intense (at least i guess so). Could it be from the power consumption ? As i said, when i disconnected the video card and started the system it stopped.

PS: Now i have disconnected both optics (dvd & cd) and still it doesn't stop. After that i disconnected even the hdd and it didn't stop. So the power consumption ideea is out (OMG, anyway it's 400W certified and it's a rig with a Sempron 2600+ skt A; low-end system anyway).
I have only 3 coolers in the system: one i have no doubt about its within the power supply; second one is on the cpu, neither does this make any sound; third one is on the video card, which i stop and no change occurs.
So this leaves me to one single suspect: video card circuits ?? i have no clue if it can be possible or not.
Please help once again.

DC

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
You may have a component failure on the video card circuit board, especially if it goes away when the card isn't installed.

belial

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
it's too obvious that the faulty component is the videocard itself but i didn't knew that some integrated circuits can make this sound. i will try and see what happens if i plug another card in the agp slot. anyway i'll probably get myself a new video card.