Replace DC

martin

Hello all,

Need some help on a project. I will be replacing a Windows 2000 Server
machine with a newer\faster machine. The machine will run the same OS and
will have the same name\IP. The old server is a secondary GC\DC and is
running DNS, WINS, and DHCP. What steps should I take in demoting the old
machine and promoting the new machine? Do I need to transfer FSMOs? I am not
sure if this is the first DC in the domain, is there any way to find out?
Does it matter? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sip

Hello Martin,

FYI - In parts this is written for the benefit of all, not just the specific
situation stated.

Determining the first DC in your domain is not absolutely necessary for what
you want to do. Typically, identifying your FSMO roles in the
"small-to-medium" enviro (say 2-10 DCs) is not a major factor when brining
in or retiring DCs via DCPromo. However, managing your GC is crucial as
there is typically only one in the "small-to-medium" enviro (on the first
DC, unless an additional GC is manually configured, say in another "site").
I will offer some direction based on the information (& lack of keep in
mind) you've provided. Where assumptions are made I will specify. Also, keep
in mind that even though identifying FMSO roles in your domain is not
absolutely necessary for promoting/demoting DCs, it is extremely good
practice to understand them & manage/know which DCs host each.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;324801

The first DC brought up in your domain "births" the FSMO roles in an AD
domain. Unless any are physically moved they will all reside on that first
DC. Typically, in a "small-to-medium" domain, the only role that is moved is
Infrastructure Master (to not reside on the same DC as the GC), & only if
there are 2+ DCs & if all DCs DO NOT also host a copy of the GC.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/en/server/help/default.asp?url=/windows2000/en/server/help/sag_ADgcInfFSMO.htm
So, you c-o-u-l-d presume the first DC in your domain is the one that holds
all FSMO roles, but possibly all but the Infrastructure Master.

I'm assuming you DO have additional DCs in your domain (being that you
stated there are 2 GCs) & will assume your entire domain is in the Default
First Site. In your situation you should remove the GC off the retiring DC,
DCPromo it (demoting it), & remove it from the domain. the DCPromo process
will take care of transferring the necessary FSMO roles to another DC (just
make sure you specify that it IS NOT the last DC in your domain). Then
join/DCPromo your new server in to the domain (w/ the same server name &
IP).

IF there were only 1 GC, & it was hosted by the retiring server then it
would be imperative to transfer the GC to another DC. You must at least
retain 1 original GC w/in an AD domain.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/deploy/confeat/06w2kadc.mspx

Regarding the DNS, WINS, & DHCP... w/out knowing the scope of your enviro
it's impossible for me to be conclusive. Assume that Active Directory
Integrated DNS is configured in your domain & that there is at least 1
additional DC you would not have any further concerns in the process... just
bring up the new DC as an additional DC w/ AD Integrated DNS. If this is
going to be your beefiest DC then you probably would want to transfer the GC
back to it (typically you DO NOT want multiple GCs w/in a small site due to
replication traffic & DO want an additional GC in each site for efficiency).
WINS & DHCP would be easy to simply rebuild on the new server & should not
cause any major disruption given the new DC will have the same IP address
(IF this is all done after-hours. planned, post-migration client-reboots
wouldn't hurt).

All of this is contingent on whether you are doing this after-hours or
during production hours & on what the specifics of your enviro truly are.

Good Luck!
--
Mark R. Wilson, MCSA/MCSE i-Net+/Security+
Enterprise Platform Support