Error Disabling Connection

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I always figured the best security situation for my workstation is to simply disable the LAN, enabling it for a short time now and then as needed.

Well I crashed my system last week (moth on video card) and had her up again by the end of the day by installing a new similar MoBo, (p4c800-e Deluxe) and new video card.

Thing is now I can not disable the LAN. The message is "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account".

I am logged on as administrator and I tried enabling OS control of the PnP in BIOS, but no luck.. Also tried turning off the OS firewall (XP pro) and got the same error message. So for now I am forced to physically unplug the Ethernet cable.

Some help would be appreciated so I don't have to get out of my chair and put stress on the connector each time.

BTW - I did a search but went crossed eyed after 10 pages or so..

Please help. :?

-Shea

NetCompTech

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
Have you tried disabling it from both the network connections window and device manager?
Also, If you go into the properties for the local area connection, what protocols are you using?

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
One way around it would be to disable the LAN port in the Bios, if it is a motherboard connection that you have and not a PCI card.

Thanks but I don't think you get it, I need the port sometimes, quick upload to the FTP, grab a driver, etc... Right clicking and choosing disable always worked before and I suspect it is perfectly reasonable for it to function again.

Jacking the BIOS is way more drastic than just unplugging the cable and not a reasonable solution IMHO.

-Shea

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Sometimes you will get this if there are multiple drivers for the same hardware address. For example, I have seen this error pop up when re-arranging devices on the PCI bus - removing a modem and moving the NIC to where the modem was, for example. The modem drivers were not uninstalled. The error message you saw popup up when trying to disable the network connection. Fix was to uninstall the modem drivers.

Long-winded way to say this: it sounds like Windows thinks a driver other than your standard networking drivers is also attached to your NIC.

If this doesn't "ring a bell", here are some things you can try:

[*:0e12cb4f0f]Remove your NIC and reinstall it.
[*:0e12cb4f0f]Check to be sure you only have the TCP/IP protocol installed.
[*:0e12cb4f0f]Run "Repair this connection" (assuming WinXP)

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
I should have stated this is onboard LAN, also I am only running TCP/IP.

I just tried uninstalling all drivers and software and looked for any duplicate drivers. After re-installing I have the same problem, but this time the error message does not even come up! I can not load Status either.

After some additional research I decided Plug and Play OS = no was the way to go, and either setting had no effect anyway.

Another thing is the repair option is not available for the connection, but it is for my firewire port.

I guess I should be glad the port even works, and for now I may just have to get off my ass when I need a net connection.

Thanks for your help, any other ideas?

-Shea

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Did you try uninstalling the hardware AND the software?

By "uninstalling the hardware" I mean using the device manager, not actually pulling hardware bits off your mobo.

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
Searched through the installed programs some more and did find a duplicate driver, some marvel yukon thang..

Also had to create a new shorcut on the desktop and now all is well in 3D land!

Thanks for you help.

-S

praveen_77

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
my pc showing the

it is not possible to disable the connection at this time. this connection may be using one or more protocols that not support plug-and-play,or it may have been initiated by another user or system account.

what the Solution ?

sridhar_ps

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
i just was able to successfully disable and re-enable the network connection, after i got the same error message. Right Click on this Connection in the Network Connections Window, select 'Properties' Tab, and select the 'Configure' button for the Hardware under 'Connect Using..' box.
Inside this window, at the bottom, you might see the device is already disabled. Enable the device in this Device Manager window and click OK. It might ask you to restart the computer, but decline it.
Go back to the connection in the 'Network Connections' window, right click and 'disable' the connection.
It now gets properly disabled. You can re-enable it whenever you want it later.