Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
March 22, 2005 4:37:42 PM

I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My trusty old
Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running XP Pro and
I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new machine with this
disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro without having to do a
clean install and then reinstall the apps?

More about : upgrade home pro

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 6:18:08 PM

In news:MPG.1caa3004c6ac4e4b989693@msnews.microsoft.com,
Ken Gash <kgash@cox.net> typed:

> I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My
> trusty old
> Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running
> XP Pro
> and I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new
> machine
> with this disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro
> without
> having to do a clean install and then reinstall the apps?

The answer as to whether you can do it *at all* depends on
whether it's an OEM CD or not. If it came with the Gateway, it's
an OEM CD. Even if you bought it yourself separately, it might be
an OEM CD.

If it's an OEM version, its license ties it permanently to the
first computer it's installed on. It can never legally be moved
to another computer, sold, or given away. So you can not legally
do this with an OEM Version. And it came with the Gateway, it may
be BIOS-locked to it, and it might not even be possible to use on
the new computer, regardless of the legality.

If it's a retail CD, you can use it to upgrade from Home to
Professional, whether it's an Upgrade or a Full version. If it
doesn't incorporate SP2, you'll first have to make a slipstreamed
copy of the CD, with SP2 incorporated; otherwise the upgrade will
fail, telling you you're trying to install an older version over
a newer one.

However, before you even bother doing upgrading, first consider
whether you really need to. It's probably not worth the trouble.
XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
aren't needed, would never be used.
For details go to

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...

Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
connections, and Home only five.

Please reply to the newsgroup
March 22, 2005 7:55:28 PM

"Ken Gash" <kgash@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My trusty old
> Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running XP Pro and
> I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new machine with this
> disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro without having to do a
> clean install and then reinstall the apps?

If your disk is OEM (not retail), then you cannot upgrade (Upgrade and Full
versions in retail can do an upgrade), only clean install. Also, if your Pro
disk doesn't have SP2 included, it will not install at all (other than
formatting totally, then installing it), since it will see Home as a newer
version than Pro.

If your disk is retail, you can make a slipstreamed disk of Pro to include
SP2, and then upgrade.

How toSlipstream SP2:
http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94

Autostreamer will do this for you, and it is virtually fool proof, download
from here:

http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html
March 22, 2005 7:55:29 PM

AutoStreamer is slick.

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
news:o %23CacnyLFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

> "Ken Gash" <kgash@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My trusty old
>> Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running XP Pro and
>> I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new machine with this
>> disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro without having to do a
>> clean install and then reinstall the apps?
>
> If your disk is OEM (not retail), then you cannot upgrade (Upgrade and
> Full versions in retail can do an upgrade), only clean install. Also, if
> your Pro disk doesn't have SP2 included, it will not install at all (other
> than formatting totally, then installing it), since it will see Home as a
> newer version than Pro.
>
> If your disk is retail, you can make a slipstreamed disk of Pro to include
> SP2, and then upgrade.
>
> How toSlipstream SP2:
> http://www.neowin.net/articles.php?action=more&id=94
>
> Autostreamer will do this for you, and it is virtually fool proof,
> download from here:
>
> http://www.autopatcher.com/autostreamer.html

Anonymous
March 22, 2005 8:15:14 PM

Thanks for all your information. I think I'll take the advice to stick
with the nice clean XP Home that I have on the new machine rather than
going through all the trouble to get some features that I don't really
need.

Thanks again.

In article <elcKI0yLFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain says...
> In news:MPG.1caa3004c6ac4e4b989693@msnews.microsoft.com,
> Ken Gash <kgash@cox.net> typed:
>
> > I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My
> > trusty old
> > Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running
> > XP Pro
> > and I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new
> > machine
> > with this disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro
> > without
> > having to do a clean install and then reinstall the apps?
>

> The answer as to whether you can do it *at all* depends on
> whether it's an OEM CD or not. If it came with the Gateway, it's
> an OEM CD. Even if you bought it yourself separately, it might be
> an OEM CD.
>
> If it's an OEM version, its license ties it permanently to the
> first computer it's installed on. It can never legally be moved
> to another computer, sold, or given away. So you can not legally
> do this with an OEM Version. And it came with the Gateway, it may
> be BIOS-locked to it, and it might not even be possible to use on
> the new computer, regardless of the legality.
>
> If it's a retail CD, you can use it to upgrade from Home to
> Professional, whether it's an Upgrade or a Full version. If it
> doesn't incorporate SP2, you'll first have to make a slipstreamed
> copy of the CD, with SP2 incorporated; otherwise the upgrade will
> fail, telling you you're trying to install an older version over
> a newer one.
>
> However, before you even bother doing upgrading, first consider
> whether you really need to. It's probably not worth the trouble.
> XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all respects,
> except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
> networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
> all) home users, even those with a home network, these features
> aren't needed, would never be used.
> For details go to
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>
> Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
> connections, and Home only five.
Anonymous
March 22, 2005 9:35:10 PM

In news:MPG.1caa630099254ef1989694@msnews.microsoft.com,
Ken Gash <kgash@cox.net> typed:

> Thanks for all your information. I think I'll take the advice
> to stick
> with the nice clean XP Home that I have on the new machine
> rather than
> going through all the trouble to get some features that I don't
> really
> need.
>
> Thanks again.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> In article <elcKI0yLFHA.732@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>,
> kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain says...
>> In news:MPG.1caa3004c6ac4e4b989693@msnews.microsoft.com,
>> Ken Gash <kgash@cox.net> typed:
>>
>>> I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My
>>> trusty old
>>> Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running
>>> XP Pro
>>> and I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new
>>> machine
>>> with this disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro
>>> without
>>> having to do a clean install and then reinstall the apps?
>>

>> The answer as to whether you can do it *at all* depends on
>> whether it's an OEM CD or not. If it came with the Gateway,
>> it's
>> an OEM CD. Even if you bought it yourself separately, it might
>> be
>> an OEM CD.
>>
>> If it's an OEM version, its license ties it permanently to the
>> first computer it's installed on. It can never legally be
>> moved
>> to another computer, sold, or given away. So you can not
>> legally
>> do this with an OEM Version. And it came with the Gateway, it
>> may
>> be BIOS-locked to it, and it might not even be possible to use
>> on
>> the new computer, regardless of the legality.
>>
>> If it's a retail CD, you can use it to upgrade from Home to
>> Professional, whether it's an Upgrade or a Full version. If it
>> doesn't incorporate SP2, you'll first have to make a
>> slipstreamed
>> copy of the CD, with SP2 incorporated; otherwise the upgrade
>> will
>> fail, telling you you're trying to install an older version
>> over
>> a newer one.
>>
>> However, before you even bother doing upgrading, first
>> consider
>> whether you really need to. It's probably not worth the
>> trouble.
>> XP Professional and XP Home are exactly the same in all
>> respects,
>> except that Professional has a few features (mostly related to
>> networking and security) missing from Home. For most (but not
>> all) home users, even those with a home network, these
>> features
>> aren't needed, would never be used.
>> For details go to
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosi...
>>
>> Also note that Professional allows ten concurrent network
>> connections, and Home only five.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 12:52:09 AM

"Ken Gash" <kgash@cox.net> wrote in message
>I just got a new computer with XP Home, SP2 preloaded. My trusty old
> Gateway finally blew its HD so I recycled it. It was running XP Pro and
> I still have the XP Pro CD. Can I now upgrade the new machine with this
> disk (it is not an upgrade disk) from Home to Pro without having to do a
> clean install and then reinstall the apps?

Ken,

As long as the Gateway disks is NOT and OEM CD (so it dd not come with the
PC and IS a retail CD) and it is already slipstreamed with SP2 then you will
be able to do an inplace upgrade.

--

Regards,

Mike