Help! PC shut down out of blue

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Hello,
I m having problem with my PC (its 4y.o.). It shut down out of blue while i was watching youtube.com and when I turn the power on nothing happened. I thought maybe there is power shortage but other electric stuffs are fine. I even change the cable but no luck.

I suspect there is a problem with my power supply but I m not sure if the problem is caused by mobo too. I checked out the mobo and there no smell of burning thing and the standby light on mobo is on. I m wondering again.. what makes this problem?

P/S: sorry for crappy english.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
any hard ware can cause that problem - so you pull each out and then you find its not the problem

its a bad os install - highly unlikely on a 4 yr old

is the lower led on to the mobo? if not dead psu if its on then disconnect the graphics and sound cards first see if it turns on

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
Yeah the led down left on the mobo is on. I was curious whats wrong with it.. and IMO if the PSU is dead, the led shouldnt be on. I will try pull out 1 by 1 as what you told.

ryuhaikaru

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2005
ok great news...
I did as you told, and i unplug 1 by 1. the pc still wouldnt turn on until i plugged out processor,heatsink and the fan. then i turned on the power switch and guess what happened?
KAPOOOOF. The processor slot got short circuit and even burned out. I ve done couple times pc troubleshooting (my friends' my familys) and from my experience, the mobo wont get burned if we turn it on without processor in the slot. It will just display "No processor detected" or something like that.
I might wrong but from what happened i think the problem is with the mobo.
I really appreciate any advice, guide from you guys.
Thanks.