Serial ATA harddrive installation trouble.

Chihbu

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I just purchased a WD 400gig Serial ATA harddrive to install in my current system which has a 70 gig IDE (master) and a second 300 gig IDE harddrive (slave).

I plugged up the drive (Serial ATA power and the Serial ATA cable to EZ_Raid1). I've got an Asus P5W DH Delux mobo. I have no idea what Raid is or what EZ raid is... My mobo came with two red Serial ATA cables and two orange ones. I'm using the orange one because the booklet said something about the red being master or something???

My system doesn't seem to be reading. Any advice or help would appreciated. Thanks in advance!

stom

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Chihbu,

Try using a red cable (imo it shouldn't matter, but we'll use it to avoid potential problems) into the red SATA socket on your mobo.

Power on your pc and enter the BIOS, make sure that it'd detected the hdd.

Can't quite make out the labelling on the pictures of youe board but if it doens't work, try the two black SATA ports, using the one labelled SATA_0

I would suggest reading the manual, they usually explain disk installation in the literature.

Let us know your results

Chihbu

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Chihbu,

Try using a red cable (imo it shouldn't matter, but we'll use it to avoid potential problems) into the red SATA socket on your mobo.

Power on your pc and enter the BIOS, make sure that it'd detected the hdd.

Can't quite make out the labelling on the pictures of youe board but if it doens't work, try the two black SATA ports, using the one labelled SATA_0

I would suggest reading the manual, they usually explain disk installation in the literature.

Let us know your results

I had actually orginally tried the red cable with the red port, but my computer wasn't recognizing it. So I checked the book and the instruction booklet had said that there is a red and black cable, but my mobo had only come with a two red and two golden colored cables.

I have no idea whats going on. I assumed my computer would automaticlly read the drive and it would have been a matter of formatting. But my bios isn't picking it up (even after setting the bios from what the book had told me) and diskmgnt wasn't reading it either.

Is raid really needed? at any rate i had installed a raid controller program but everytime i try to run it i get an error message which reads JMICRON JR036X RAID APPLICATION HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO BE CLOSED. i still get the error message even after reformating my system.. :(

Chihbu

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
THANKS EVERYONE! i found a black sata port on my mobo and i used the red cord. now my system is reading it and i'm in the midst of formating now! i appreciate everyone's comments and advice!