Newbie here: Is there a virtual Pocket-PC for Win98SE/2000

June 8, 2005 12:29:45 AM

Hi everyone;

Is there a virtual Pocket-PC for Windows 98 SE, 2000 ?
I want to experience the Pocket-PC using an emulator or virtual
thing, (not sure what its known as) Will it be all in what they call
the Windows CE environment? I'd like to get a feel of this thing
before getting the real thing.

If there's such things yes, where to download these from?

Thanks,

OW-K
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:29:46 AM

"OBI WAN KENOBI" <ST@RWARS.ORG> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> If there's such things yes, where to download these from?

yes ,
You should use the WM2003 SE - SDK and an emulator of your choice.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx?categor...

Rainer

..
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:29:47 AM

On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:27:14 +0200, "Rainer Borchmann"
<joeclipphead@web.de> wrote:

>"OBI WAN KENOBI" <ST@RWARS.ORG> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> If there's such things yes, where to download these from?
>
>yes ,
>You should use the WM2003 SE - SDK and an emulator of your choice.
>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Popular.aspx?categor...

The emulators that come with the SDKs work _only_ with programs
compiled specifically for them, and are only crude approximations.
Really not suitable for trying commercial applications and/or trying
to decide whether to buy a Pocket PC. For more info, use google to
look up
emulator
in this newsgroup

Microsoft is just unveiling a stand-alone emulator that can be used to
run commercial applications. I haven't seen it, so I can't say how
well it works.

If you could compare a stand-alone Pocket PC emulator with emulators
for other PDAs (Palm, Psion), that might be a fair comparison and thus
a way to determine which you might prefer. But trying to use an
emulator running under "big" Windows to get a feel for a real device
will be a stretch.

>Rainer
>

>.

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R
Boston, MA 02118
www.penfact.com
June 8, 2005 12:29:48 AM

Many vendors of pocketpc's offer a "return period"

You will probably learn more if you take some time to educate yourself
as much as possible on how you want to use the device (MS apps,
specialty programs, etc) and downloading those you want to evaluate in
advance.

Then purchase the device (wait to install activesync from the CD that
ships with the device.)

Spend the first few days using _only_ the default apps, then install
each program by itself and getting familiar with how it works in the
palm of your hand.

At that point, you should have a very good impression to make your final
purchase decision or to return it before the window closes.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:48:40 AM

"OBI WAN KENOBI" <ST@RWARS.ORG> wrote in message
> Hi everyone;
>
> Is there a virtual Pocket-PC for Windows 98 SE, 2000 ?
> I want to experience the Pocket-PC using an emulator or virtual
> thing, (not sure what its known as) Will it be all in what they call
> the Windows CE environment? I'd like to get a feel of this thing
> before getting the real thing.
>
> If there's such things yes, where to download these from?
>
> Thanks,
>
> OW-K

Windows Mobile 5.0 has a standalone emulator:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downlo...

The Windows Mobile 2003 emulator requires a Visual Studio or other
development tool previously installed. The Windows Mobile 5.0 is standalone
and will run without anything else being required.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:48:41 AM

> Windows Mobile 5.0 has a standalone emulator:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downlo...
>
> The Windows Mobile 2003 emulator requires a Visual Studio or other
> development tool previously installed. The Windows Mobile 5.0 is
> standalone and will run without anything else being required.

The only emulator I see there is for WM2003 which is
DeviceEmulator050419.msi . What's the filename of the 2005 emulator?

Tom Lake
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:50:17 AM

The text says Windows Mobile 2003 on the entry page - but the
beta.microsoft.com site lists DeviceEmulator050419.msi, which seems to be
the 2005 emulator. I've just downloaded and tried to install and it
recognised my previous installation as the same product.

In either case it's a standalone emulator.

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Windows Mobile 5.0 has a standalone emulator:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/mobility/windowsmobile/downlo...
>>
>> The Windows Mobile 2003 emulator requires a Visual Studio or other
>> development tool previously installed. The Windows Mobile 5.0 is
>> standalone and will run without anything else being required.
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>
> The only emulator I see there is for WM2003 which is
> DeviceEmulator050419.msi . What's the filename of the 2005 emulator?
>
> Tom Lake

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:50:18 AM

> The text says Windows Mobile 2003 on the entry page - but the
> beta.microsoft.com site lists DeviceEmulator050419.msi, which seems to be
> the 2005 emulator. I've just downloaded and tried to install and it
> recognised my previous installation as the same product.

When I d/l and run DeviceEmulator050419.msi, it's 2003.

Tom L
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 12:41:48 PM

"Tom Lake" <tom_lake@srmtenv.org> wrote in message
>> The text says Windows Mobile 2003 on the entry page - but the
>> beta.microsoft.com site lists DeviceEmulator050419.msi, which seems to be
>> the 2005 emulator. I've just downloaded and tried to install and it
>> recognised my previous installation as the same product.
>
> When I d/l and run DeviceEmulator050419.msi, it's 2003.
>
> Tom L

Check my other reply to another thread - I am checking with MS too.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Software for Pocket PC and Smartphone: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Software for Pocket PC directly on your device:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/inhand.asp
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:15:46 PM

"Tom Lake" <tom_lake@srmtenv.org> wrote in message
>> The text says Windows Mobile 2003 on the entry page - but the
>> beta.microsoft.com site lists DeviceEmulator050419.msi, which seems to be
>> the 2005 emulator. I've just downloaded and tried to install and it
>> recognised my previous installation as the same product.
>
> When I d/l and run DeviceEmulator050419.msi, it's 2003.

Yep, used to be WM 5, now its WM2003 due to some install program conflict...
Apparently MS is working to make the standalone emulator available for WM5
again later.

!