Wireless internet service

TKG

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I am on wireless internet and seem to have issues getting onto game servers such as STEAM or GAMESPY, connecting to the servers is never an issue just finding them is, typically i may find one or 2 games but never the 1000's that everyone else sees. There is no router or modem in my house just a wire and power supply, the guts of the unit are on the roof. Is there any tweeks or issues i should know about? I have XP firewall only, and it has exceptions for steam and game spy....

Connection speed is good, 1.5megdown 600kb up, tested on various sites and is almost alwasy about 1.2meg service.

APtoSMImage.jpg

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
What game(es) are you looking for online? Wireless may not be your problem. If you connect but can only see a couple servers for the game, it is more likely that you are only seeing servers offering sessions that match your game version. Are you running Punkbuster? Also, some game settings (i.e. BF2) you can tell it to filter out servers that don't match your patch version.

TKG

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Specificly Halflife2 and Counter strike source. Steam forces u to update everytim u log in, i followed all there FAQs and ran there tests, but i rarely get listings in there server browser. I once saw 10games most of the time i see 1 or 2. I run no filters i ask for any game available..

Right now im playing GTR2 and i see all kinds of servers with in the games internet browser.. ITs trange

P2P programs and bit torrents work but i can not get ports assigned to maximize there speed of those programs

PS: i have no router just one pc with wire coming in from roof top

Thanks