TFTP and RIS

Hi all,

I have a quick question.
I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
use a Microsoft version.

I know that the TFTP server is installed when RIS is
installed, however I don't want to use RIS. Is there any
way to separate the two. Or just disable the majority of
RIS leaving just TFTP running?

Regards,
Dunc.

Jim

RIS? You mean IIS? Yes, you can configure IIS to use
mainly just FTP. Just go to the Internet Serices Manager
(under Admin Tools) and "Stop" the Web Server, SMTP
Server, and any other Servers you may have? Then just set
up the FTP Server normally. Don't forget to forward port
21 (or whatever you chose for a port) to the FTP Server IP
in your router.

Good luck.

To manually install the built-in tftpd service (without RIS)

1. Copy the tftpd.exe file from c:\windows\system32\dllcache to
c:\windows\system32

2. Start a command prompt and type "instsrv tftpd
c:\windows\system32\tftpd.exe" (instsrv is from Windows Server 2003
Resource Kit)

3. Start the service by typing net start tftpd or by using
services.msc (Note: A good thing to do is to create a separat account
and configure the service to use that account...)

4. Create a folder named tftpdroot in c:\

5. test by typing "tftp -i localhost put c:\windows\notepad.exé"

This also works in Windows 2000

regards
Johan Arwidmark

Windows User Group - Nordic
http://www.wug-nordic.net

On Fri, 7 May 2004 07:20:52 -0700, "Dunc"

>Hi all,
>
>I have a quick question.
>I want to run an TFTP server on my Win2K server. Rather
>than using a 3rd party piece of software I would like to
>use a Microsoft version.
>
>I know that the TFTP server is installed when RIS is
>installed, however I don't want to use RIS. Is there any
>way to separate the two. Or just disable the majority of
>RIS leaving just TFTP running?
>
>Regards,
>Dunc.

Thanks for the info.