Any info on txtsetup.oem syntax?

My LAN Boot remote install session is having problems
installing the mass storage drivers. I'm trying to
address this by modifying my $OEM$\textmode\txtsetup.oem
file and am having some real problems.

Does anyone know where I can find information on modifying
txtsetup.oem files _specifically_ for use with RIS?

TIA
9 answers Last reply
More about info txtsetup syntax

    The definitive document on the txtsetup.oem file format is Microsoft's
    own:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/install/hh/install/txtsetup_1wmq.asp

    But since that is the first hit at
    <http://www.google.com/search?q=txtsetup.oem>, you probably saw it
    already.

    I know of no other general document on the topic, although I am
    considering writing one...

    If you could explain exactly what you are trying to do, including the
    txtsetup.oem file you started with, what you did to it, and what
    precise errors (if any) you are seeing, someone here might be able to
    help.

    - Pat
    MVP, Windows Server - Setup/Deployment
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > My LAN Boot remote install session is having problems
    > installing the mass storage drivers. I'm trying to
    > address this by modifying my $OEM$\textmode\txtsetup.oem
    > file and am having some real problems.
    >
    > Does anyone know where I can find information on modifying
    > txtsetup.oem files _specifically_ for use with RIS?
    >
    > TIA

    Here is a good link

    [Unattended] TXTSETUP.OEM, MassStorageDrivers, etc.
    http://www.mail-archive.com/unattended-info%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg00107.html

    regards
    Johan Arwidmark

    Windows User Group - Nordic
    http://www.wug-nordic.net

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 08:19:10 -0700, "Tony"

    >My LAN Boot remote install session is having problems
    >installing the mass storage drivers. I'm trying to
    >address this by modifying my $OEM$\textmode\txtsetup.oem
    >file and am having some real problems.
    >
    >Does anyone know where I can find information on modifying
    >txtsetup.oem files _specifically_ for use with RIS?
    >
    >TIA

    First of all, thanks for your reply. This is turning into
    something of a nightmare.
    -----------
    I've copied the i386 folder from my Win2K Pro CD-ROM to
    a "distribution point"which just happens to be on my RIS
    server. Then I slipstreamed in sp4 into the i386 folder.
    Then I ran RISetup and created an image folder from the
    distribution point. I ran the setupmgr.exe to create
    a .sif file which I'm using instead of the statndard
    ristndrd.sif file. I then created the appropriate $OEM$
    directory structure as a peer of the i386 folder in the
    RISimage folder and copied the appropriate third-party
    SATA drivers so that I can use my SATA hard drive during
    the installation process.

    After some... ah... experimentation for several days I
    realized that my problem probably lies with the
    txtsetup.oem file and I've been working on that for the
    last few days. The installation starts with "Setup is
    inspecting yourcomuter's hardware configuration" and then
    just hangs. I'm 95% sure this is because it's looking for
    the appropriate mass storage drivers to install and is not
    finding them, probably due to syntax issues in my
    txtsetup.oem file. (?)

    In a nutshell, I'm trying to run LAN-based installs from
    the RIS server so that I can set up unattended, network-
    based installs on many PC's at once. The problem seems to
    be that I'm using a 3rd-party mass storage driver during
    the text mode of the installation and the installation is
    not finding those drivers.

    Without further ado, here is the other information that
    you asked for.

    Here's the $OEM$ directory structure for my RIS image:

    =======================================

    G:\RIS\SETUP\ENGLISH\IMAGES\WIN2000.PRO.SP4\$OEM$
    +---$$
    ¦ +---OEMDIR
    +---$1
    ¦ +---DRIVERS
    ¦ +---SATA
    ¦ VIAPDSK.SYS
    ¦ VIAPIDE.INF
    ¦ VIASRAID.CAT
    ¦ VIASRAID.INF
    ¦ VIASRAID.SYS
    ¦
    +---TEXTMODE
    Copy of txtsetup.oem
    txtsetup.oem
    VIASRAID.CAT
    VIASRAID.INF
    VIASRAID.SYS
    VT6420
    =======================================

    Here are the relevant contents of my .sif file for the RIS
    image (it is _not_ ristndrd.sif; I'm using a custom file
    called win2k-pro-sp4-default.sif):

    =======================================

    [Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    MsDosInitiated="1"
    UnattendedInstall="Yes"
    floppyless="1"
    OriSrc="\\%SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"
    ; OriTyp="4"
    LocalSourceOnCD=1

    [SetupData]
    OsLoadOptions="/noguiboot /fastdetect"
    SetupSourceDevice="\Device\LanmanRedirector\%
    SERVERNAME%\RemInst\%INSTALLPATH%"

    [Unattended]
    UnattendMode=FullUnattended
    ExtendOemPartition = 0
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    OemPnpDriversPath = "Drivers\SATA"
    TargetPath=\WINNT
    UseFullDisk = 1
    FileSystem = ConvertNTFS
    NtUpgrade=No
    OverwriteOemFilesOnUpgrade=No
    DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

    [RemoteInstall]
    Repartition = Yes
    UseWholeDisk = Yes

    [OSChooser]
    Description="Default Base Win2K Pro sp4 PLUS RAID"
    Help="This installs Win2K Pro sp4 and adds printers"
    LaunchFile="%INSTALLPATH%\%MACHINETYPE%
    \templates\startrom.com"
    ImageType=Flat

    [MassStorageDrivers]
    "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)" = "OEM"

    [OEMBootFiles]
    viasraid.sys
    viasraid.inf
    viasraid.cat
    txtsetup.oem

    =======================================

    And here's my txtsetup.oem file:

    =======================================

    [Disks]
    d5 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
    Driver ",\txtsetup.sif,""

    [scsi]
    VIARAID_VT3149_2K = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
    (Windows 2000)",VT6420

    [Files.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]
    driver = d5,viasraid.sys, viasraid
    inf = d5, viasraid.inf
    catalog = d5,viasraid.cat

    [HardwareIds.scsi.VIARAID_VT3149_2K]
    id = "PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3149","viasraid"

    =======================================

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Thanks for the link Johan. That's a good one! :-)

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > After some... ah... experimentation for several days I
    > realized that my problem probably lies with the
    > txtsetup.oem file and I've been working on that for the
    > last few days. The installation starts with "Setup is
    > inspecting yourcomuter's hardware configuration" and then
    > just hangs. I'm 95% sure this is because it's looking for
    > the appropriate mass storage drivers to install and is not
    > finding them, probably due to syntax issues in my
    > txtsetup.oem file. (?)

    Possible, although syntax errors usually cause Setup to halt with a
    diagnostic message.

    > In a nutshell, I'm trying to run LAN-based installs from
    > the RIS server so that I can set up unattended, network-
    > based installs on many PC's at once.

    I have never actually used RIS myself (see
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/), but as far as I know, what you
    are attempting should be possible.

    > Here's the $OEM$ directory structure for my RIS image:

    [snip]

    Looks fine.

    > [MassStorageDrivers]
    > "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)" = "OEM"

    Problem. Here you have no space between "Controller" and "(Windows
    2000)"...

    > And here's my txtsetup.oem file:
    >
    > =======================================
    >
    > [Disks]
    > d5 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller Driver ",\txtsetup.sif,""
    >
    > [scsi]
    > VIARAID_VT3149_2K = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller (Windows 2000)",VT6420

    ....but here you do. These strings must match *exactly*, or the driver
    will not be installed.

    Also, when you have a "[MassStorageDrivers]" section, Setup assumes
    you know what you are doing and skips trying to load any other
    mass-storage drivers, even the retail ones in your OS image. So your
    setup is not loading any mass-storage drivers at all, which is
    probably bad.

    Your txtsetup.oem file looks OK to me, althoufgh most of the ones I
    have seen include a [Config.xxx] section to set registry entries. Is
    this txtsetup.oem file derived from one you got from VIA?

    - Pat
    MVP, Windows Server - Setup/Deployment
    http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Oh? That is strange...

    >> In a nutshell, I'm trying to run LAN-based installs
    from
    >> the RIS server so that I can set up unattended, network-
    >> based installs on many PC's at once.
    >
    >I have never actually used RIS myself (see
    >http://unattended.sourceforge.net/), but as far as I
    know, what you
    >are attempting should be possible.

    Yeah, I looked at this a little and I've thought about
    trying it. But I figured, one thing at a time, you know?

    >> Here's the $OEM$ directory structure for my RIS image:
    >
    >[snip]
    >
    >Looks fine.
    >
    >> [MassStorageDrivers]
    >> "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Windows 2000)"
    = "OEM"

    >Problem. Here you have no space between "Controller"
    and "(Windows
    >2000)"...
    >
    >> And here's my txtsetup.oem file:
    >>
    >> =======================================
    >>
    >> [Disks]
    >> d5 = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
    Driver ",\txtsetup.sif,""

    >> [scsi]
    >> VIARAID_VT3149_2K = "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller
    (Windows 2000)",VT6420

    >....but here you do. These strings must match *exactly*,
    or the driver
    >will not be installed.

    Ahhhh! OK. I'll fix that and try again.

    >Also, when you have a "[MassStorageDrivers]" section,
    Setup assumes
    >you know what you are doing and skips trying to load any
    other
    >mass-storage drivers, even the retail ones in your OS
    image. So your
    >setup is not loading any mass-storage drivers at all,
    which is
    >probably bad.
    >
    >Your txtsetup.oem file looks OK to me, althoufgh most of
    the ones I
    >have seen include a [Config.xxx] section to set registry
    entries. Is
    >this txtsetup.oem file derived from one you got from VIA?

    No... I took the VIA txtsetup.oem file and modified it to
    include just what I expected was needed for the text mode
    portion of the setup. However, I have tried it with the
    [Config.xxx] entry many, many times. Is it actually
    needed for the text mode portion of the setup or just for
    the GUI portion?

    > - Pat
    > MVP, Windows Server - Setup/Deployment
    > http://unattended.sourceforge.net/
    >.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Is this really true? If this is so, how the heck would
    you handle deploying install images to machines with many
    different mass storage devices? Would you really have to
    figure out what each mass storage device is (even if it is
    a "retail" device) in your network and put _all_ the
    appropriate entries in the [MassStorageDrivers] section?

    And then wouldn't you have to also derive the files
    necessary for the drivers and put them in the
    [OEMBootFiles] section? :( That doesn't sound reasonable.

    Thanks for your help Pat. BTW, I fixed the device driver
    description strings, and still no luck. I'm beginning to
    become completely and truly baffled.

    Tony
    Sr. Network Engineer
    Seventh Wave Technology
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > No... I took the VIA txtsetup.oem file and modified it to
    > include just what I expected was needed for the text mode
    > portion of the setup. However, I have tried it with the
    > [Config.xxx] entry many, many times. Is it actually
    > needed for the text mode portion of the setup or just for
    > the GUI portion?

    txtsetup.oem is only used during the text mode portion. The GUI mode
    portion uses a .inf file.

    So you probably want to put back most of what VIA originally had in
    txtsetup.oem.

    - Pat
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Tony" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> writes:

    > Is this really true? If this is so, how the heck would you handle
    > deploying install images to machines with many different mass
    > storage devices? Would you really have to figure out what each mass
    > storage device is (even if it is a "retail" device) in your network
    > and put _all_ the appropriate entries in the [MassStorageDrivers]
    > section?

    Yes. See the "NOTE:" in <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=288344>,
    which describes what to do just to keep your IDE disks working. (This
    only applies if you need to access IDE devices during the text-mode
    portion. The GUI setup probes the hardware and loads all of the
    drivers again.)

    > And then wouldn't you have to also derive the files
    > necessary for the drivers and put them in the
    > [OEMBootFiles] section? :( That doesn't sound reasonable.

    No, for "RETAIL" drivers you do not need to put anything in
    OEMBootFiles, since the files are already part of the media.

    You just have to include them in [MassStorageDrivers].

    Note that my system (http://unattended.sourceforge.net/) automates the
    generation of both [MassStorageDrivers] and [OEMBootFiles]. It scans
    $OEM$\TEXTMODE and the media itself to derive the names of the
    available "OEM" and "RETAIL" drivers, and asks which ones you want to
    include.

    > Thanks for your help Pat. BTW, I fixed the device driver
    > description strings, and still no luck. I'm beginning to
    > become completely and truly baffled.

    Well, you might start over with Via's txtsetup.oem file in its initial
    state. It may not work, but it should fail with some sort of
    diagnostic message. The hanging behavior you describe is just weird.

    Then again, maybe the whole TXTSETUP.OEM mechanism just doesn't work
    with RIS?

    - Pat

Microsoft OEM Windows