(RESOVED) Getting the friggin Heatsink off.

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Im trying to upgrade to a Athlon X2, but when it came to removing my old Athlon I find the heat sink is super glued itself to the chip, thus I cant remove the chip, all thats on it was a bit of thermal grunge so why wont it friggin come off, I dont want to pull it to hard in case I damage something. So come on, please tell, what is the magic trade mans tip to remove this friggin heatsink?

I thank you.

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Thats what I thought you cant get the friggin cpu out until you get the friggin heat sink off. Right then gentle twists from side to side it is then, trouble is there isent much room to do my twisting, the CPU bracket makes sure of that. I think Ill try tomorrow when Im in a better friggin mood. Thanks for the help.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Thats what I thought you cant get the friggin cpu out until you get the friggin heat sink off. Right then gentle twists from side to side it is then, trouble is there isent much room to do my twisting, the CPU bracket makes sure of that. I think Ill try tomorrow when Im in a better friggin mood. Thanks for the help.
Friggin' good luck getting the friggin' heatsink off the friggin' CPU man...for frig sakes. What were the friggin' engineers friggin' thinking about?....mother friggers! :wink: 8)

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I have just give it a go and yes it did seem to free up a little but as I said I am really restricted by the heatsink bracket, it only allows me a midge's willy in both directions.

Pinoy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
Before I remove a HSF I usually run the computer hard to heat up the thermal paste. Then I shut down and take it off before it cools, I've never had any problems with this method. Just a gentle twist back and forth and "pop" off it goes :wink:

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
if you get a new cpu, (unless oem), you will get a new heatsink, avoiding the need for separation, however if you do need it off, wiggle it, if fail, get a thin knive sharp knife, like a leather man an slowly prize it off if it an old cpu it wont matter if damaged

brutal but it should work

Emtiph

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
lmao, this is a funny thread. And some good advice too.

Btw, I have a question, why is Thermal paste more efficient or better than the standard thermal pads?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
lmao, this is a funny thread. And some good advice too.

Btw, I have a question, why is Thermal paste more efficient or better than the standard thermal pads?

Modern thermal pads that come stock heatsinks are actually pretty decent these days - they used to be fairly inferior to third party pastes and greases. However, third party compounds still have the edge, mostly because they've been designed and rigorously tested to have the best possible thermal transmission properties. Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic Silver Ceramique are two of the most popular, but there are also other compounds from different companies.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Yeah, the heatsinks can definitely get stuck on there pretty good! Like others said, make sure you get it good and warm and twist and sort of tip it off the cpu. Another thing you can try is heating the heatsink as much as you can by using a hairdryer with your system off.

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Okay I got it, I warm, twiggle then wiggle and if it pops of Ill add a giggle. No problems, will tackle the friggin job in earnest tomorrow.
Now I know Im doing it right it should be a piece of cake. :roll:

Tar very much for all your response.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
turn off the fan and when cooler gets hot its time to pull - 2-5mins

watch the core temp in the bios

boot into bios with the fan disconnected if it wont let you pull the fan power hot - it be ok

it might buzz or beep - you might want to diable to cpu fan alarm first

get it nice and hot and twist!

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Trying to defend my comment about not twisting the heat sink with the socket pins still engaged. My experience has been that twisting the heatsink while still in the socket can bend the CPU pins. In fact, I've had a few times when the CPU and cooler came out as an assembly. I've spent more than a little time with a magnifying glass and utility knife blade straightening bent pins. That's what I meant when I said not to twist while removing the heat sink unless it was removed from the socket.

If my technique and advice was wrong, then please accept my apolagies.

Da_junka

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
@ piratepast40, your forgiven.

Well I done it, took a whole lot of twisting, the muscles in my wrist look like gerkins. Taking DragonSprayers advise I unplugged the fan and watched the temp rise, tried it at several different temps but finally had success at 65c.
Got my new cpu in now and am well happy, now how do I get this friggin memory to fit in?

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Glad you got it out and the new one back in.
now how do I get this friggin memory to fit in?

I'm assuming you're adding memory modules. First check the mobo manual to see what slot pairs should be populated for dual channel. You'll want to match like memory sticks in like slots if you've got different brands or configurations. If the cooler is covering your memory slots, you're going to need to remove the heat sink but you should have some experience in that now :wink:. I'm rather fumble fingered and have "mature eyesight" so I use a flashlight to get a good look at the slot orientation. There is a slight gap on the memory stick connector that aligns with the slot - make sure you have the stick oriented correctly with regard to the slot. The "keepers" at each end of the slot need to be pushed outward and then just firmly insert the stick into the slot (starting to sound a little erotic now :lol: !). If your board is a little short on space, it's easy to misalign the stick to the slot so look carefully and don't force it, but the memory sticks are normally a tight fit and need a firm push to get them seated properly. The keepers should also snap into place but you may need to push them into the corresponding slot on the memory stick.

Sorry if this sounds too basic but I know what it's like the first time and not wanting to break anything. BTW - you're going to love the increase in multi-app speed with a dual core. Which new core did you get?

TRENDING THREADS