RIS problem (or No RIS is the problem)

One of our regional RIS boxes no longer works. The client PCs boot
from NIC and do receive an IP, but then the screen goes black instead
of the blue setup screen. Recent changes to the server were this

SP4, KB837001, 828741, 835732, 823559, 820888, 822831.

The last successful RIS was 3 days before these patches and SP. Has
anyone experienced any issues with these patches and RIS servers?
Thoughts?
Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about problem problem

    Hi Brad:

    I've not seen anything about the latest round of patches breaking RIS.

    As a test you may want to put down another image on the RIS server and see
    if that one deploys successfully.
    You can do this by running Start/Run and then RISETUP -ADD. You may also
    want to run an RISETUP -CHECK to have the RIS components examined and fix if
    needed.

    There is a video issue that are addressed in the two articles below. You may
    want to investigate whether or not these fixes would address the issue
    you're seeing.
    Windows 2K
    317863 A RIS Client Installation May Hang at the "Setup Is Starting Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=317863
    Xp images
    319111 Windows XP RIS Client Loses Video or Stops Responding While "Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=319111

    If when you hit F12 on the Client machine - the WELCOME.OSC screen NEVER
    comes up, try to simplify the connection between the client and the RIS
    server. Ideally, try putting the client on the same local subnet as the RIS
    server. If the client is requiring connections and communications through a
    switch or router, make sure the required ports have not been closed by
    either the patches or by another administrator.

    832017 Port Requirements for the Microsoft Windows Server System
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=832017

    Remote Installation
    You can use
    the Remote Installation system service to install Windows 2000, Windows XP,
    and Windows Server 2003 on Pre-Boot eXecution Environment (PXE) remote
    boot-enabled client computers. The Boot Information Negotiation Layer (BINL)
    service, the primary component of Remote Installation Server (RIS), answers
    PXE client requests, checks Active Directory for client validation, and
    passes client information to and from the server. The BINL service is
    installed when you either add the RIS component from Add/Remove Windows
    Components, or select it when you initially install the operating system.
    System service name: "BINLSVC"
    +=======================+==========+=======+
    | Application protocol | Protocol | Ports |
    +=======================+==========+=======+
    | BINL | UDP | 4011 |
    +=======================+==========+=======+

    Trivial FTP Daemon
    The Trivial FTP Daemon system service does not require a user name or a
    password and is an integral part of RIS. The Trivial FTP Daemon service
    implements support for the Trivial FTP Protocol (TFTP) that is defined by
    the following RFCs:
    RFC 1350 - TFTP
    RFC 2347 - Option extension
    RFC 2348 - Block size option
    RFC 2349 - Timeout interval, and transfer size options
    TFTP is a file transfer protocol that is designed to support diskless boot
    environments. TFTP daemons listen on UDP port 69 but respond from a randomly
    allocated high port. Therefore, when you enable this port, the TFTP service
    can receive incoming TFTP requests, but enabling it does not allow the
    selected server to respond to those requests. You must configure the
    selected server to respond from port 69 to allow it to respond to inbound
    TFTP requests.
    System service name: "tftpd"
    +=======================+==========+=======+
    | Application protocol | Protocol | Ports |
    +=======================+==========+=======+
    | TFTP | UDP | 69 |
    +=======================+==========+=======+

    If this information doesn't wind up helping you figure out what's going on,
    please contact our Platforms Setup team via the phone and get a case
    created. We'll be glad to assist you in tracking down what the problem is.

    Please reply to the group as individual email sent to this address will not
    be delivered.

    :
    : SP4, KB837001, 828741, 835732, 823559, 820888, 822831.
    :
    : The last successful RIS was 3 days before these patches and SP. Has
    : anyone experienced any issues with these patches and RIS servers?
    : Thoughts?
    : Thanks

    Thanks Sean, I'll look into these things. Due to security, I can't
    move PCs or servers, and different departments operate switches
    between sites so it might be port related. There is NO video after
    hittig F12. There are also multiple images, so adding a new one won't
    help. RISETUP -CHECK came up as all fine.

    On Fri, 7 May 2004 16:25:26 -0400, "Sean Dwyer[MSFT]"
    <sdwyer@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >environments. TFTP daemons listen on UDP port 69 but respond from a randomly
    >allocated high port. Therefore, when you enable this port, the TFTP service
    >can receive incoming TFTP requests, but enabling it does not allow the
    >selected server to respond to those requests. You must configure the
    >selected server to respond from port 69 to allow it to respond to inbound
    >TFTP requests.
    >System service name: "tftpd"
    >+=======================+==========+=======+
    >| Application protocol | Protocol | Ports |
    >+=======================+==========+=======+
    >| TFTP | UDP | 69 |
    >
    >If this information doesn't wind up helping you figure out what's going on,
    >please contact our Platforms Setup team via the phone and get a case
    >created. We'll be glad to assist you in tracking down what the problem is.

    I had problems with the 835732 patch. After integrating
    in to the CD based image(KB Article 828930), everything
    worked fine. My error had to do with the CD image not
    matching though.

Microsoft Servers Windows