Help a newbie out: Small fan on mobo isn't moving!?

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Motherboard: Asus A8V-E Deluxe

Hi, just joined the forums. First-time poster, long-time Asus motherboard and Corsair memory user.

This is my second or third custom built computer (not built by me). This one is from March/April 2005. Shortly thereafter I noticed this loud whirring sound from the computer, and something that sounded like if you held a piece of looseleaf paper in the fan blades. I ignored everything and eventually they stopped. I also remember losing some system speed at that time. Again, I ignored all of this.

A couple of days ago I decided I wanted to get more memory, so I opened up the computer to refresh my memory on what I had in there, and to spray some compressed air around to remove dust. I re-remembered that the fan wasn't moving! Again, this is the small fan on the motherboard, not the massive (larger than my hand) one sitting on what I think is my processor.

I messed around with the small fan and removed the top plate (removed four screws) to see if I could learn something. Whatever I just did, reactivated the noise that sounds like something knocking into some fan blades. What could it be? Could it be the video card fan? It can't be the small fan because that isn't moving, so I have two problems in there, wtf.

So my questions are:

1) What does the small fan do?
2) Is it possible that it's not moving because the plate that's on top of it is on too tight?
3) Any dangers in trying to run my system with that plate removed?
4) Any ideas as to what the sound is that sounds like a wire constantly hitting some fan blades (can't find the source!)?

I'm planning on getting this professionally looked at after having a talk with Asus's RMA department on Monday. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

- action

To test the video card fan, you could try removing the graphics card from the system. You could try disconnecting the power to any 80mm/120mm fans alternately to see if that is the problem. Do not disconnect the Northbridge fan or the CPU fan. Instead put your finger on top as said previously.

action2288

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Thanks for all the replies. I contacted the Asus RMA department today, and they were able to confirm that my motherboard was still under warranty. They will be sending me a chipset fan at no cost and it will arrive in 5-10 days.

Now in terms of installation, I don't trust myself with this. What do you guys suggest in terms of finding reputable computer people who won't rip you off? Or even better, are there such things as places certified to work on Asus items? Right now my plan is to take it to Best Buy's Geek Squad.

- action

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
Brother here.

Ok, apparently Asus sent him the wrong stuff, or maybe a "newer" replacement model.

They sent him a new fan AND heatsink. Pictures from his cell phone camera:
http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/142/newasusfanxi3.jpg
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3254/newasusfantopviewgx3.jpg

Unfortunately, two issues come up:

1. He removed the old fan from the chipset heatsink, but is unable to get his the heatsink off his motherboard. He removed all the screws, but the heatsink seems to be glued on or something:

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/8598/heatsinkgn6.jpg

This means that he can't put in the new heatsink and fan that Asus sent him.

2. What really sucks with this replacement part, is that the fan will not fit the old heatsink. It's too big. Blah.

Any ideas?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
If you are sure that there are no mounting screws for the old heatsink, then it is glued on. You have 3 choices:
1). Just leave the fan off. The VIA chipset is not a barn-burner like NVidia chips are. It may work fine for years without a fan IF the cpu cooler and case fans keep the air moving.
2) Lightly tap the heatsink sideways with a small hammer. The heatsink should just pop off. Back in the good old days of 486 cpus, this was a common thing to do. Can be kinda scary though.
3) Take it to a shop where they will rap it with a hammer...

Paul22000

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
If you are sure that there are no mounting screws for the old heatsink, then it is glued on. You have 3 choices:
1). Just leave the fan off. The VIA chipset is not a barn-burner like NVidia chips are. It may work fine for years without a fan IF the cpu cooler and case fans keep the air moving.
2) Lightly tap the heatsink sideways with a small hammer. The heatsink should just pop off. Back in the good old days of 486 cpus, this was a common thing to do. Can be kinda scary though.
3) Take it to a shop where they will rap it with a hammer...

Tap it sideways, or clockwise/counterclockwise?

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Any which way except down. You want to break the seal loose. Any sideways glancing tap works. Use a small (like a tack hammer) size hammering tool. If in doubt contact Asus for their specific directions. That way you are covered if you need to RMA the board.