How do i get to the bios on a toshiba portege r100

nhwilliamsjr

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
i am trying to get into the bios of this portege r100 to reinstall my windows 7 but if i hit f2 or f12 it just highlights a 3 disk, i disk , 2 laptops and looks like a memory board on the page what i i select it goes to a screen that asks me to start windows normally or start a start up repair. the start normally just turns of my laptop and the repair just goes to a screen and nothing happens.

Alaskan_IT

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
Well, to get into the bios, hold "esc" as the system turns on, then press F1 when you see the "check system" message. However, there is no way to reinstall an OS in the BIOS.

If you want to reinstall windows, you have two possibilities. Make sure the boot order has the optical drive first and insert your Windows 7 disc. Reboot and follow the on-screen instructions.

The other option is SOME Toshibas have a recovery partition. To access the Toshiba recovery partition, power off the laptop. Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears, where you should start tapping the zero key repeatedly. Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears. The screen should flash ** HDD RECOVERY MODE ** for a split second, then load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.